Profile picture for MIDWAY 41

Is it a good idea to buy a house next to swamp land in brookville,ny 11413.

• March 22 2009 - Jamaica
  • 0

Profile picture for MaxwellMcLaughlin
I don't know what ever happened to the person that posted this question but I recently have been faced with the same decision while house hunting in rural South Eastern Virginia.  I found a lovely house 12 acres with about 8 of those acres literally swamp land, right off of the back yard.  The more I read about it the less inclined I am to put in an offer.  There are lots of things to consider.  Unfriendly animals, mosquitos, rats, poisonous snakes, bear, foxes...the list can go on and on depending on where you are looking.  Although viewing these creatures can be delightful, living with them in close proximity on a daily basis may become a problem.  Flooding is also something to consider...The property I was looking at was on a floodplain and that would be something you would need to look into.  Also consider the type of footing that was used when the house was built...the land shifts quite a bit more on swamp land and could lead to foundation issues.  This also lends to another problem depending on where you are looking.  The area where I was looking was rural and therefore would have to have a septic system...in swampy conditions this could have a whole new set of problems should the leach field not be able to drain properly.  You also have to consider things such as levels of moisture, mildew, termites do love moisture rich environments and this is something that would also need to be checked out prior to purchase.

I would think the real question you need to ask yourself prior to moving to swamp country is do you have the knowledge and are you prepared to deal with these issues when they come up.  No house or property is perfect, there will always be something to consider.  For me these issues really fell outside of my experience and therefore you will probably not see me on an episode of swamp loggers anytime soon.