Profile picture for Yardcards

Is it a good time to become a realtor in Tampa Bay Area, FL?

I am a teacher who is looking to get out of the field of education.  Is this a good time to make a change into the real estate profession.  What is the future outlook of the market in the Tampa Bay area?  Which real estate company would be the best for training a new agent? Thank you for any help you can provide!
  • April 28 - Dunedin

Best Answer

It's a great time to get into real estate! The markets have recovered. The banks are lending and people are moving to Tampa Bay. 
It's nothing like you see on TV, so delete that expectation. Also, be prepared to go without any realistic income for up to a year until you find what part of real estate you like.  
I took a month to decide on my broker and chose Realty Direct Tampa. I love their style. They have on going education, all kinds of edgy marketing concepts for all the different facets of real estate and they let you take it at a pace that best suits your learning.
If you want to know more, call me.
Curtis Rudolph
[Contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

• April 28

It is great to here that you are looking to start a career in real estate You being a teacher, can definitely understand that a proper education is ideal for starting something new. The internet has plenty of resources available. This Ehow article is especially informative on what it takes to become a real estate broker in florida.

Best of luck with your future real estate  endeavors! 
  • August 25

@ IRA,

Surviving the 18% interest, the S&L Failures, and this latest fiasco I would say I'm doing OK, of course some clients wonder if they are paying me too much when they see my vette until I ask them if they would like to list their home with someone driving a beater or person that can do the job.
  • April 29

I love all the answers posted.  

Curtis, if I could show you a way that you wouldn't have to wait a WEEK (much less a YEAR) to get your first deal under contract, would that be of interest to you?  I would hate to see what any Agent's life would look like if they had to wait a year to get their business going.

J.D. aka Dan, if I could show you how to avoid being out of the business within 2 years (new and old agents, alike) - and help you to educate any new agents you meet on the same, would that be helpful to you and your business?  I would hate to see our current professionals suppressing any potentially talented, incoming agent, based upon their own limiting beliefs. 

Joe, have I told you, lately, that I love you?!  I'm so honored to know you, to have worked with you as a co-broke, and to now be in business with you!  I know you're going to have much success & your personal life is already showing that growth!

Yardcards: If you're interested in Real Estate, willing to learn how to follow proven systems, models, and business plans, willing to run your new career like a business - then you're a great candidate to make a career change into R/E.  As a teacher, I think your integrity, your learning-based mindset, and your ability to deal with controlled chaos will all help you reach new heights of success.  Tons of great and free / confidential info here: http://floridarealestatecareers.wordpress.com/
  • April 29

Profile picture for Yardcards
Thank you to you who replied to me.  I appreciate the honesty and advice. 
  • April 29

Do you have someone at home bringing in a regular pay check?   Can you maintain your present lifestyle on that person's paycheck?   All of the Hype put out by our local boards is realty just Hype.  

House prices have not recovered from the boom days but I see those houses being offered now for more than they were bought for and not selling.  Houses that do sell are still selling at depressed prices and will for some time to come relative to the last decade,    They just look better right now because they are compared to the depression prices of '12

Stay in teaching   80% of new licensees are in a different field within two years in good times and bad
  • April 29

Teachers make fantastic realtors! Right now is a great time to get into real estate, my office currently has a brand new agent that has been in the business since January. In the past 45 days he was able to secure 10 new listings. That is because of the training Keller Williams Realty provides to it's agents. There is no other real estate firm that offers it's agent more training. In fact KW is the 2nd largest training organization across all industries, #1 is jiffy lube. Interview with a number of brokers and try to find the one that fits you. I have worked for small firms and Medium sized firms and it's my opinion that KW is the best out there. Everything the company stands for, the culture, the people and the coaches are top notch. I have yet to go into our office and hear any negativity. It's important to surround yourself with high minded people that will help you grow. If you would like to talk more about KW or anything real estate related please give me a call or sent me an email. Thanks Joe Joe Kipping [Removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]
  • April 28