Profile picture for harsh sutaria

Is it advisable to hire an agent if you are planning on building/buying a new home

We are looking at a couple of builders in N. VA and are not sure if it is worth getting a real estate agent involved. Any advice is appreciated. 

January 23 - Ashburn

Some resale homes have fewer problems than the new construction homes, because all the problems have already been corrected during the warranty period.
Resale homes may not have the new house smell, but they are often a much better investment.
Also the contract itself on new builder home can be more tricky than on resale home.
YES, do arm yourself with a good realtor and a lawyer (and a home inspector)  :-)   

February 28
I will re-iterate what the others have said that it is very advisable to have a realtor represent you when buying a "new-build."  In addition to the reasons provided by my colleagues, although builders will often times give the impression that their prices are "set," you can almost always negotiate the price down.  I recently represented buyers for a new-build in Virginia Manor in Loudoun County and we were able to negotiate the price about 30K down from the "set" price.  My client had a friend who had recently purchased the exact model, and they still haven't let the friend know that they paid so much less for the exact same house!

I hope this can give you something else to think about!

Jennifer Young

January 29
Yes, it is advisable to hire your own representation. With most builders, you will need to let them know who your agent is on your first visit, otherwise they will not pay them. You need an agent that has experience working with builders as there are many more "moving parts" throughout this process than with a traditional home purchase. But I would recommend that you have an agent with either of these options. I work with many agents that are great with new home construction, let me know if you would like a referral to a great agent for you to interview!

Scott

January 27
Are you kidding?  Yes it is advisable.  That is exactly what the new home builders WANT you to do.  Contact me to discuss further and I will provide some information I'm sure you are not aware of. The builder IS NOT looking out for YOUR interest as expressed earlier.  They work for the seller...period.

January 24
Absolutely. It's always better to hire an agent if it is not your field of expertise. 

January 24
When you are doing anything in an area where your expertise is limited, it makes sense to hire a professional who is experienced in the process - whether it's taxes for a complex return or a physician to help us through the process of becoming well again, what we don't know can hurt us - and it's the same with a home.

Your home is likely your largest investment and you want an expert who is working only for you.  The salespeople in the office can write up your 'order' for a home, but think about who they are working for.  They work for the builder - you agent works for you if you sign a buyer's agreement.

And you want to get an agent who has experience dealing with builders and can guide you through the process with your interests in mind. 

Good luck with your new home!

January 24
Profile picture for harsh sutaria
Thank you Cassandra. We are looking at builders in a community. The information that you have provided is very helpful. Appreciate your time!

January 23
Are you looking at builders in a community?  Or a spec/custom builder that will be building on your land?

If you are looking at a builder in a community I would HIGHLY recommend hiring your own Realtor®.

The cost is FREE to you as the builder/seller will pay their commission.  Remember, the on-site agent/sales person represents THE BUILDER and is not looking out for your best interest (I have even known them to try to mislead myself and my clients before on some of the less ethical companies or less knowledgeable sales reps.).  A strong buyer's agent (Especially one that specializes in New Construction) will definitely be valuable. 

Also, keep in mind that you should STILL get the home inspected.  The builders are no perfect and I would say that in almost all of my new construction inspections, the inspectors have found issues -- one was a serious roof leak on a $450K house.  If you are building from the ground up, do the several stage inspection where they come in and inspect before drywall goes in (What better time to inspect plumbing, electrical and all the systems between the walls that you hope to never have to see again.)

I hope this helps and good luck!!!

~Cassandra

January 23