Profile picture for lisa911332

Is it bad to say "Seller Motivated" in listing?

I remember reading a few years ago that a seller shouldn't use the words "motivated" to sell because it made a seller seem desperate and it would appear to buyers that something was wrong with the house. This didn't make sense to me at the time but because it was such a seller's market at that time, perhaps it was true. If you were having trouble selling your house in 2004, there probably was something really wrong with it.

But in this market, is it a bad thing? I have to sell my house and I'm selling at rock bottom price. I'm literally just trying to break even. Is it wrong to advertise that I desperate and motivated to get out? I know for me, as someone who is also a buyer, I find myself gravitating toward the motivated sellers and being turned off by people who the realtors tell me are "not motivated to sell at all".
Is it just me? Should I avoid saying I'm motivated? My house is going on the market for below appraisal and even below Zillow value. We are being relocated out of state so I need to sell fast.
  • December 28 2008 - Richmond
  • 0

Hey Lisa,

The short answer is no.  And if you're able, I would also consider stating "seller willing to help with buyer's closing costs" too.

I'm a buyer's agent and my clients are looking for the home that's in true move-in condition. I'm also seeing my well qualified buyers a little short on cash as well (no surprise, right?) so if you can assist a buyer with closing costs, that will help.

But today's market where there's so many houses for sale, and so few qualified buyers, you not only need to make your house visually stand out from the competition, you need to make it monetarily more attractive (without lowering the list price).

Do whatever you need do to get the buyers into your door, and disregard information that's older than 6 months. Pay for closing costs, pay for one year's condo dues (if applicable).

But from reviewing your past postings, you seem pretty on top of things so keep moving forward with your positive attitude!

Happy New Year!

Frank

Hello lisa911332,

Your goal is to get the buyer to the table and if they are aware that you are motivated it opens the line of communication between you and a potential buyer. And like yourself there are alot of buyers that are more interested in those ads that do say "motivated seller" I see buyers choose from a list of my homes all the time because they see it and want to see the home to get a good deal. Good luck and happy new year.

Hi lisa911332,  You can add anything that is a true statement to your listing in hopes of attracting a buyer.  Your goal is to get an offer, without it you have nothing to negotiate.  So... tell the truth, be aggressive, get an offer and then try to negotiate to a number that will work for you.

Lastly, if you are that close to break even, you might consider renting for a while till you get some space to work with.