Profile picture for Woodb76

Is it best to have your own agent when purchasing or can you use the same agent the seller is using?

Will you still have room to negotiate?
  • March 30 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for dmcanally1
It is always best to have someone who represents your best interests. That doesn't mean  the seller's agent won't represent you well but remember that they have a relationship with the seller as they secured the listing. I have represented both sides before and it has gone well but I also know of some instances where things didn't go as well. Ultimately it is how comfortable you feel with the seller's agent representing both sides. Good Luck!

Profile picture for MBExclusive
Get a buyer agent! You may still negotiate, but really it is in your best interest to have an agent working exclusively for your needs.

Profile picture for MiamiCondosandHomes
We recommend having a buyer agent, each entity represents the interests of their client first. A buyer agent represents you first. Good Luck!

I want to emphasize what others have said, the seller or listihng agent represents the interests of the seller, not yours.  A buyer agent will represent your interests.  You need to decide which one you will be working with.

You most definitaly want to use a buyers agent. The seller's agent looks out for the best interest for the seller. Your buyers agent will pull comps, negoiate items to convey, require updated surveys, inspections, review appraisals, assist you in finding a lender, assisting the buyer every step of the way for the buyers best interest! The list goes on.......

Profile picture for Brokerstevens
 The sellers agent most likley has local comps that they used to help price the home. Your agent will also compile comps to help you negotiate your best price and you should rely on these, not the sellers. 

I agree with all of the above answers. To make sure YOU have full representation you should consult and hire your own agent. The right agent can usually negotiate a better deal on your behalf. Also if you are dealing with a reputable agent they can often times suggest closing attorney's, mortgage lenders and home inspection companies that will offer more competitive rates than if you were dealing on your own. I wish you the best of luck!
Jericha

Profile picture for Woodb76
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. I do wonder if I should get a list of comps in the area or will that be my seller agents job. Thank you again.

Since you are asking a two part question, it is always a good idea to be represented by another Realtor instead of the seller's Realtor for your best interests. 

Second, yes you can use the seller's Realtor and have a successful purchase because they is documents that supports the seller's agent when they procure a buyer for the seller's sale of the home and it's not against the law.

My opinion, find a Realtor you can trust and work with to stay out of any legal matters.  Being represented by your own Realtor is the best approach to buying a home without too much headaches.  A knowlegeable Realtor will also guide you through the process for your to have a better understanding of what steps to take.  Have a great day.

Profile picture for PamSt House
Yes, sign a  contract w/ a buyer's agent ...why would you want an agent negotiating with you when their fiduciary is to their seller??
You can sign a buyer agency agreement for one specific home...this
can be a good idea if you saw a house pop up that you want and are brand new to the market....find a premier agent here and then you can always expand your contract if you do not get the first house
or find another buyer's agent.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
I believe you are best represented by your own agent. Similar to having your own attorney.

It is truly a conflict of interest to try and represent both sides.

In my case I always represent the first party that contacts me and stick with
them. I belief it is my duty and I never have a problem.

If I am needed in an intermediary position, again I always represent the first contact as my client and explain to the other side that I will assist them with the sale and they will be a customer. I explain that they are free to get full representation by contacting an agent and will gladly just represent my clients. It is interesting that most people do not elect to do that.

James Callas Broker - Realtor

You are free to choose your agent, however it is important to know that the seller's agent is ethically bound to represent the best interests of the seller so it is best to secure a separate buyers agent for yourself so that your best interests will be represented. Most Realtors will prefer to work in this manner so as to avoid any conflict of interest.