Profile picture for LFNH

Is it common for an agent to submit an offer letter via email to the seller?

I am buying my first house. I wanted to get a realtor to make sure I do things right. She has many years of experience and was recommended to me by someone who used her. She is very nice but not very aggressive. I was surprised to find out that she submitted the offer via email (she scanned offer documents and emailed them) and at this point we are waiting for sellers reply.

September 06 2012 - Kennedale

Yes, this is normal practice, certainly in California, anyway. There is little, if any, benefit in personally delivering an offer to the listing agent and most listing agents would not want a buyer's agent to present an offer directly to the seller. Plus most sellers wouldn't want that either.

Generally speaking, the offer is emailed to the listing agent with a covering letter that attempts to outline why this is an offer (and buyer) that the seller should want to work with.

This is normally how it is done, via email or occasionally via fax.  The
buyer's agent almost never presents an offer directly, unless your agent has the listing as well. The listing agent presents the offer to the seller.  Good luck and I hope you get the house of your dreams at a price you are comfortable with!

yep 100%. email or fax - any offer should be submitted in writing. 

I am a relatively new agent and when I had my first offer ready to submit, I needed to run and errand that was near the offices the offer was going to. So I dropped it by....and they LOST it. So I always send them electronically now. 

The old preferred method was to fax the offer to the listing agent and then call the listing agent to make them aware an offer was forthcoming. Today most everyone uses email to send offers (via PDF documents). It's then up to the listing agent to present the offer to their sellers. Most either do it by phone or in person.

As long as your agent has given a verbal heads up to the listing agent, this is the common practice of presenting offers. And as Cindy points out, I wouldn't provide the original signed copy to the sellers as stuff tends to disappear - especially with bank owned homes.

We just forward the offer via e-mail (after reviewing it) and call to discuss it.

Very common practice actually.  Don't worry about it.   The contract actually states that electronic contracts are acceptable.

If they owners take too long to answer, you can always get back to them with a deadline to respond.

Naima

This is the only way I do it.  Faxing is dying.  We sometimes have to send them back and forth so many times, by the time the contract is double inked no one could read it.  Fax machines are going by the wayside and being replaced with e-faxing.  This is where we scan the documents and hit send and it sends a digital copy as an attachment to the email.

This is the preferred method for all professionals that I've met so I'd say your agent is the same way.  We are in the digital age and simple advances in technology make our lives (and the communication process) much easier.

Jeff Metcalf, REALTOR(R)
Watson Realty Corp.

I always email the offer as an attachment to the listing realtor.  I write a cover email with whatever else I'd like to communicate about the buyer.  I thank the listing agent for his/her efforts in presenting the property for sale and bringing our offer to the seller, etc.  I don't think it ever hurts my client to be "likable" to the listing agent, and to bring as much personality to the process as I can, even though it is electronic.

Yes. Electronic formats are totally acceptable.

There is no law in any state that offers and/or acceptances use a specific medium. So email is just as well as fax, mail etc. As long as offer is written, it can be communicated.

Sometimes verbal offers can be communicated too, and acceptance received verbally too, with an understanding that written will follow.

Raheel Shahzad, Attorney, CPA, Real Estate Agent
Lombard, Illinois

[Off topic removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Profile picture for Joseph Fernandez
Latest reply by Joseph Fernandez

1. 6803 Elderberry Dr, Arlington, TX Home For Sale
    6803 Elderberry Dr, Arlington, TX 76001

2. 5408 Palo Duro Ct, Arlington, TX Home For Sale
    5408 Palo Duro Ct, Arlington, TX 76017

3. 5633 Colebrook Trl, Arlington, TX Home For Sale
    5633 Colebrook Trl, Arlington, TX 76017