Profile picture for LFNH

Is it common for an agent to submit offer letter via email when buying a house?

I am buying my first house. I wanted to get a realtor to make sure I do things right. She has many years of experience and was recommended to me by someone who used her. She is very nice but not very aggressive. I was surprised to find out that she submitted the offer via email (she scanned offer documents and emailed them) and at this point we are waiting for sellers reply.

September 06 2012 - US

In this age of technology offers are scanned and emailed, followed by a call to the agent to ensure they have received it.

Submitting an offer by Email is the standard these days, followed by a phone call to make sure the agent has received the offer. I will also drop by an offer to the listing agent if I am not getting a response from them.
The hardest part is the waiting ....Hang in there.

I find that most offers are submitted via email these days. It's the fastest way to get the offer into the listing agent's hands and also gives you a trail of exactly what you sent and when.  That being said, in Massachusetts, buyers agents have the right to request that they be able to present the offer directly to seller in person.  I don't find many agents doing that now days because the timing of coordinating that is not often as convenient, but an agent may have a specific reason why they feel it is better to present it one method or another, depending on the circumstances of the offer.

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your agent and trust that they are respresenting your best interests, as they should be.

Profile picture for MiamiCondosandHomes
Do not be alarmed this is now standard procedure. If she was recommended, that is the most assurance you have when choosing a realtor.

Hey, submitting an offer via email is more or less common practice. Its just good business for the agent submitting the offer to also call the listing agent and let them know they are putting in an offer.  

Although offers can be presented in person to the sellers, it is mostly done by scan and email. Since you are actually purchasing the home for yourself (as opposed to an investor), I like my client to write a heart felt letter as to why they want the home, and present that with the offer as well. Sometimes the owners will take the offer, even if it is a lower price, because they know a family really wants it and will really appreciate their home. I work in Phoenix where we get multiple offers on each home, so you have to get creative.