Is it ethically appropriate to work with more than one real estate agent at a time?

I am looking to buy a 2 - 4 unit property in Detroit (cheap fixer upper). Since about March I have been sporadically submitting inquiries about properties, but I was an out of town buyer depending on a family member to physically look at them. Agents seem to be sending her on wild goose chases to properties not even CLOSE to my request. Now I'm in the area and I am ready to BUY! I can now do a lot of foot work, but when I ask about specific properties, 3 days later, my agent says he is still "working on" getting access. Out of 4 properties I asked about, only one was occupied, two were FaMa, and one was HUD. Is there an agent who can show a property within one or two days or even same day? I know I am only looking at cheap fixer uppers, but still I'm a customer. I hate to go behind my agent's back, but I need an agent to work with me today. Is 3 or more days normal to schedule a showing?
  • July 13 2013 - Detroit
  • 0

I agree with Edyta. A lot of times it can be very difficult to get a hold of the listing agent or company especially if it is a one man show. Talk to your agent and see what the problem is.

Initially it is okay to work with multiple agents. But once you find an agent you are comfortable with, work with that agent. There must be valid reasons behind longer waiting period for showings.

From my experience with buyers I work with I would strongly suggest working with one agent.

It is ethical to work with more than one agent so long as you disclose you are doing so to each.  Also, when you find a property you should use the agent that found the home for you (it can cause problems regarding procuring cause if you don't).  Bear in mind, if an agent knows you are working with others, one of two outcomes is likely: they'll either be really motivated to help or the reverse will happen.

Profile picture for John R Lyons

Most listings require a 48-hour notice to schedule a showing. Find an agent that you trust and can build a rapport with.

Profile picture for Pam Bava
Edyta did give you the best answer.  It probably is better if you have that conversation and get on the same page with the agent.  I'm sure he or she would be willing to work with you in a timely manner.  Maybe he or she took a break on the past holiday.

Good luck

In general, we are able to schedule showings on a short notice, unless the property is occupied than usually 24 hours notice is required. 3 or more days-very unusual, unless the listing agent does not respond. I would talk to your current agent and ask what is a reason behind such a long time for scheduling showings. Than, you can decide if it is better to find another agent or continue working with current one.