Profile picture for pinetopalm

Is it important to list with an agent who is local or is it ok with someone in a nearby area?

September 15 2009 - Pickerington

You should list with an agent that knows the area/market. Interview both agents and let the interview be the deciding factor. It never hurts to find out about the agent before you make up your mind.

It's important the agent knows your area and knows it well, whether they live there or not.

It depends on the area and the agent that you are interested in, if the listing is in a large metroplex  and the agent works all over the town then you might have an agent who know all the market.  If it is in a small town near an large town and there is a lot of second homes then I would pick an agent who advertizes in both areas to exposed the listing more.  I hope this helps.  Michelle

I live in Florida but my license is in Virginia. I have three listings and the office handles on the spot things for me. Granted I am in a unique position, but it works fine in some cases. My cell is always with me, my laptop is nearby and my home office is just as capable as any store front office.

Be careful not to simply look for who has the most signs. I have heard people say "I saw 5 signs from this one agent so they must be the area expert". That's not a good way to pick someone. If you see lots of signs, or lots of listings, that could mean that they are great at getting listings but bad at selling them. Often times some of the best agents don't have a ton of listings on the market because when they they get them, they sell them. I'm convinced some agents just like seeing their signs around town so they just get listing after listing even if they are overpriced and spend all their time getting listings and not selling them.

Profile picture for agentblu15
I'll second what Minna said.

Where the agent lives or where they rent office space is much less important than where they WORK in the field.  You want an agent that is familiar with the area, and that does a lot of work in the area.

There could be any reasons why an agent doesn't LIVE in the area that they work.  If they work for a larger firm, each agent may be assigned a territory.  If the territory where they live is already taken, they may be given another area.  They could work that area for years and be very knowledgeable about it, moreso even than their own neighborhood.  You also have circumstances, especially in urban areas, where it is not practical or financially feasible for the agent to live where they work.  In my area, most people do not live inside the city limits, because of higher property taxes and a city wage tax.  However, many agents from the surrounding areas work exclusively within the city limits.

Ask the agents to provide you with a list of their 5-10 most recent listings, and most recent sales.  That will give you a decent idea of where they do business, and where they are successful.  You can also ask questions about the local school district, shopping, public works, etc.  If the agent knows the area well, they'll be able to answer those questions, intelligently, without going to a computer to research it.

In my experience of 25+ years it is best to list with an agent who lives inside the market you are selling in.  Each real estate market is different even if only a short 5 miles away.  Agents know THEIR own market best.  They know the best places to eat, best repairmen to call, friends to get the job done quicker, weather for snow and rain, but they also know the type of person who would be happy in their community and who would not.  They know that last month this and this and this house sold and for what price.  Someone who lives say 5 miles away is still knowledge about the area but they do not have the first hand knowledge needed when push comes to shove. 

You should list with someone who is familiar with your area. They dont have to live in town but they should know the area and its market.