Profile picture for feithanna

Is it legal to have a four year lease in the state of Florida?

I leased my condo in Florida to a renter on June 2012 for a term of 48 months.  Someone recently told me that it is illegal to have a lease term of more than 12 months in the State of Florida.  Is this true?

• February 19 2014 - Ocala
  • 0

"Realtors in the state of Florida cannot have parties sign a lease more than 12 months."

Id love to see the state law calling for that? Is this merely an enforceability issue your referring to? or are you seriously saying its legal for attorneys, landlords, tenants to sign lease agreements for over 12 months yet for Realtors this is Illegal to engage in? I'm finding that hard to believe but I'm a Ma. Realtor so I have to differ to others to explain this more accurately.

Maybe you mean its a Policy or a Real Estate Board rule? please elaborate...

Realtors in the state of Florida cannot have parties sign a lease more than 12 months.

I'm not an attorney and have not seen your lease to know how it was drafted, so take this as my own personal belief...

someone told you an "untruth". 48 months (or 48 years) is perfectly legal... having said that it is wise to have a competent local Realtor represent you to make sure your lease meets your states current  requirements and is proper and/or you have an attorney review it.

thumbs up if this helps>>> best wishes!