Profile picture for chelseahome

Is it ok to use the realtor recommondation for a home inspector or should we get our own?

• April 30 2010 - Orlando
  • 0

Remember that a realtor can recommend someone but it's ultimately up to you to do your homework and check that person/company out.  Realtors exchange business cards with trade workers as a means of obtaining and supplying referrals.

It's fine.  Most realtors recommend at 3-4 home inspectors that they've worked with in the past and would trust but you're always welcome to use your own.

I dont even like recommending 3 or 4 to choose from. Best way is handing them the phone book or suggesting an online search. On a similar topic, I don't do walk thru's for my clients either. I may accompany them but I don't answer questions. I tell them they should pay their inspector to return for a 2nd visit / final walk thru.

its open i always find one for my buyers and sellers what ever best fits them

Profile picture for dennygiza
Hi

In Ohio, we provide the names of three and the buyer can choose the one they prefer. Most good agents do use at least two or more inspectors, so they always have a back up in place. I think your agent's suggested inspector would be just fine. Also, do you have the time to find and interview another one? Be sure that whoever you choose is ASHI certified.

You can ask for a recommendation from your agent, but you need to ask questions about the inspectors experience/background yourself. Many agents are honest and will recommend a professional inspector that they have used before with good results. That can be an advantage to you as a buyer which saves you time.

However, some agents are not honest and just want the deal to close. They will give you an inspector that will not look very hard to find defects in the property. That hurts you as a buyer. You will not know if your agent or inspector is honest until after you close. That is too late. Ask your agent for 2-3 recommendations for an inspector and then interview them yourself. For some tips on choosing a home inspector, check out this site here. You are the client and so you want a qualified inspector that will give you a complete professional report based on training and experience not just on the inspectors desire to get more referrals from your agent. 

I agree completely, Gay Middleton. Well said. Too many people are too quick to sue, and then the same people complain about high insurance rates.

wow, I am actually really curious as to why Mr. Blumberg took the time to explain in great detail how to sue MORE people during a transaction gone wrong.  Are you an attorney Mr. Blumberg? 

Interesting.  First of all the majority of transactions run very smoothly and without incident.  In the unlikely event of a crash, as in an airplane, should I sue EVERYONE from the mechanic to the manufacturer to the janitor that sweeps the floor?  How about I sue my friend that suggested I take that airline in the first place.  Perhaps we should be concentrating on doing ethical, professional and expedited work for our customers and lets put any blame for any unfortunate (but unlikely) events square on the backs of the offending party.  That sounds fair, doesn't it?  Fair isn't good enough?  So we have to "cover" all our bases just in case. Really?

I have no problem suggesting inspectors for my customers but it is posts such as the previous that tend to make me feel very vulnerable and that  Mr. Blumberg, is the unfortunate consequence of your implications and suggestions. 

I do not wish to minimize the fact that a consumer has a right to protect themselves from inadequate representation or information.  As a consumer myself I respect the fact that I may need to use the legal system to get satisfaction and I am glad it is available to me.  But do we really have to "suggest" ways to bring more people into the loop of uncertainty and misrepresentation?  I would just like to do my job, thank you.

Gay Middleton
Realtor 

From a certain limited perspective, the safest thing a buyer could do is to use the inspector recommended by his Realtor.  Here's why...

Let's differentiate between 2 types of defects: (1) Patent - visible to the eye, anyone can see - example: hole 2 foot by 2 foot wide in the living room wall) (2) Latent - not visible to the eye, hidden, only discoverable upon much closer scrutiny, perhaps requiring y with specialized knowledge (example: unsafe radon level, termite damage behind the drywall).  

You or your Realtor chose the inspector: If there is a patent defect and you buy the house you have no right of action against anyone after purchase.  You bought the house knowing of the defect.

You chose the Inspector: If there is a latent defect which your inspector should have discovered but did not, you have a right of right of action against the inspector.  You may also have a claim against the seller if he knew of the latent defect and did not inform you of it.

Your Realtor chose the inspector: If there is a latent defect which your inspector should have discovered but did not, you have a right of right of action against the inspector.  You may also have a claim against the seller if he knew of the latent defect and did not inform you of it.  And now, because your Realtor chose the inspector, you may also have a right of action against him if his recommendation was negligent (example: he'd heard the inspector was no good and recommended him anyway) or fraudulent (example: he knew the inspector was no good and recommended him because he was getting a kick-back).

So you see by using the inspector recommended by your Realtor, you have another potential defendant if you chose to sue.  And this is the Reason many Realtors flat out refuse to recommend an inspector, or if they do, it's with a string of caveats.

My recommendation is to ask your Realtor for a recommendation, and if he gives you one to question him closely on his experience with the inspector and then do your own independent investigation.  A right of action is all very well, but who wants the hassle...

This answer does not purport to be a full discussion of your rights of action.  Always consult an attorney if you have legal issues.

Profile picture for Mark LeMenager

Yes, it is OK, but feel free to use your own as well.  Entirely a matter of personal preference.

I always start by explaining that they are free to select their own home inspector and/or termite inspector, but if they don't know anyone in that line of work and would appreciate a referral I have several available.

Almost always buyers appreciate referrals to inspectors. They simply don't know people in that line of business. Likewise, sellers typically don't have a preference in title companies to handle their closings. As Realtors we have relationships with inspectors, mortgage brokers, home stagers, movers, insurance companies, title companies, etc... Our clients look to us for advice and suggestions.

I offer a list, but suggest an inspection company which is comprised of a duo that is highly qualified (both are civil engineers & they come together to every inspection.  Clients are free to pick anyone they choose.  However we have had clients who cannot be present for an inspection & ask that we handle the inspection.  So, we hope they choose to use the company we are most comfortable with.  And, yes, there are clients who cannot be present for many reasons, such as relocations, professionals who cannot plan for a specific date, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer here.  I will tell you that I provide my Buyers 4 choices in Home Inspectors that I have had experience with in the past.

I let the Buyer make the calls to hire one of my suggestions or choose one on their own.  It makes no difference.   Since the Buyer is paying I suggest you make the call with some help from your agent.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gay Middleton
Realtor

It depends.  

Most Realtors will provide reliable lists of home inspectors they've worked with who provide prompt service and detailed results.  Some Realtors won't.    I would prefer a list of several so I can chose my own.

If only one has been provided, do a back ground check. 

I always provide my clients with a list of inspectors that I have worked with and I also inform them that they may choose their own if they wish.  Since you are paying you can choose your own.  But, I wonder why you do not trust your agent?  If he/she is recommending someone that they have had good experience with I would have to think this is worth something.  Your agents job is to look out for your best interest, hopefully this is true in your case.