Is it possible to get financing on a rehab home without using a 203k?

Hello, I'm wondering if there is a way to purchase a home that is unlivable without using an FHA 203k. My wife and I are looking at purchasing a home that went through a flood last year (always risky in a flood plain but first time in the houses ~200 yr history that it caused real damage) and the home does not have a kitchen and needs some drywall/flooring work on the first floor. We do not want to go with a 203k because I can do a bulk of the work myself (not a licensed contractor though). We have over half the asking price in cash but would need another 20-30k to be able to purchase it. Are there any products out there that I should look into? Any help would be appreciated.
  • August 29 2012 - US
  • 0

Your choices are probabily USDA or a construction loan if you do not want FHA. Your best bet is to meet with a local and trusted loan officer who can prequailify you looking at your credit, financials and the home and let you know what is available for you.

Profile picture for JamesKuang
Are you planning to flip it or stay set?

If you want to flip it you can go look for a bridge loan with high interest rates and when you are done with the work, go ahead and flip it.