Profile picture for gcopter

Is it possible to keep home after chapter 7 bankruptcy

Due to an escrow deficiency, my monthly mortgage payment shot up approximately $969.00 to approximately $1,500.00. Because I separated, and eventually divorced, was unable to assume this higher payment. I declared personal bankruptcy, chapter 7, and included the house mortgage. Lately the bank (JP Morgan/Chase) initiated foreclosure procedures, however, I keep getting calls from them asking me if I wanted to do a short sale of the home. Recently, they even called me and informed me that, if I had someone move in and rent the property, or even, have me move in, I could request a loan modification. I told them that in the past, I've attempted twice to obtain a loan modification. The first time by myself and the second time via an attorney. Both times I was turned down. 

I was under the impression that, once the house is included in a bankruptcy, I've lost any and all rights, much less the possibility of requesting and or obtaining a loan modification. 

Because the bank has initiated this approaches, do I have any remaining ownership rights where I could get a loan modification from the bank?
  • October 10 2012 - Homestead
  • 0