Profile picture for moem
  • moem

Is it possible to sell real estate and continue teaching?

I'm out at 3:00 and have the holidays & summers.  I was  in software sales prior to teaching (a brutal competitive business).  I'd like to sell real estate full time when I retire in 8 years.  I've built a house & sold two of my own, have some legal experience and many lawyer friends.  I know it will take a while to make any money so should I start now?
  • August 31 2013 - West Hartford
  • 0

I would say it's difficult part time, I tried it once, it didn't work for me.  Clients seem to like it best when you are available at the times they prefer, if possible.  Also, there's so much work to do on one transaction that needs to be done during the day, and timelines, I don't think it works part time at all.  Plus the fees, an agent really needs to sell a certain amount of real estate in order to keep up with the board fees, the company fees, the E&O fees..marketing fees, the mls fees, and so much more.  I feel that you become a referral agent, you could do so much better finacially...minus all those fees..

You will be a part time agent and while you can do that you honestly do somewhat of a disservice to a client. If you are working with buyers you have the ability to arrange your schedule to meet with the buyers wanting to look when you can make it. Many buyers want to look on days you will be working and some will move on to other agents they can more easily find that can be there on their schedule and not having to work around yours. Just be ready for that. Maybe you should get a friend and become a "team" where you can work together when your other schedules allows it. Showing homes after 3-4 pm, when it starts getting dark, frightens many and I just refuse to show homes after dark - it is senseless since you will have to come back a second time to see it again and see the outside. You also get into the owners after work time and they don't like that.

Absolutely!  When you first get your license, work as a Buyer's Agent for a top agent in your area. Learn from the best! The pay may not be as good as flying solo, but you will gain experience and grow a list of buyer clients who eventually will sell their homes.  You can work on weekends or on your day off.  Good luck!

Yes, absolutely. You need a niche to take advantage of your schedule. Example: do weekend open houses for other brokers.....

Profile picture for Jay_Thompson
Moem - yes, it's possible. Is it "wise", or "right"? That's subject to much debate. 

A lot of real estate work is done in the evening and weekends, but there is also a lot that is done during what would be your regular hours as a teacher too.

When I owned a brokerage, one of our best agents substitute taught (almost on a full-time basis). She did a great job. But, there were times when she simply couldn't service her clients because of her teaching requirements. Fortunately, other agents in our brokerage were able to help her during those times. That may not be the case for every brokerage.

Here are a few links to articles about part-time agents that may be helpful.

(And THANK YOU for being a teacher -- one of the most important, and underpaid, jobs out there!)

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real-estate/part-time-real-estate-agents-shouldn-t-be-disqualified-by-home-sellers-1.5944240

http://realestate.about.com/od/careerpathdecisions/p/parttimestart.htm

http://www.inman.com/2013/06/20/in-defense-of-part-time-agents/

Investors have flexible schedules, so you might start working that side of the market.