Profile picture for DBcooper2

Is it smart to ask a homeowner if they want to sell their home?

inspired from
http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Is-it-smart-to-ask-a-homeowner-if-they-want-to-sell-their-home/370628/

There is a ranch i want to buy but i am afraid to ask the owner. If any realtor from Syracuse, NY want want to ask let me know

p.s. i am NOT looking for an agent...i just want the house
  • March 31 2011 - Syracuse
  • 0

Profile picture for hid2
I think if you write a letter to the homeowner and using there name which they don't know you and have know idea how you got there name scary. Who write with a red pen all letter in red that its creepy and if the owner wanted to sell they would of hired a realtor.
  • March 13

Anything is for sale at any time, for the right price. I'm sure a Realtor who is familiar with that area would be happy to help you make an offer on an unlisted property. I can understand why you would not want to make that contact yourself. A Realtor can bring an impersonal and professional approach that could also bring weight to your offer.

If you have serious intentions of moving I would suggest asking.  It can't hurt.  They may not be interested in moving right now but possibly in a time frame that could work with yours.

Let me know if I could help.

Zisis Sakellariou

YES AND NO.
The seller might be willing to sell home for a whole lot more money since you seem very interested to the point of going out of your common way to look for home.
I am confused you do not want to work with real estate broker but you are asking real estate brokers to help you work on your behalf.

I am from Wild Wild West Albuquerque NM and I do not know how you real estate brokers operate in New York.

Are you all doing real estate as a hobby these days? If not than stand up for our profession.

Natalie Arndt BS MA

"I mean what I say and I say what I mean."

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
go for it!
what's the worst thing that can happen?..they owner says, no - what have you lost?

but even then...people change their minds ...ask them to keep your contact info  just in case they do.

Profile picture for Leslie Watkin Schoen
I think it is a great idea!  I am an agent but if you can do it yourself you should.  When my parents wanted to live in a specific neighborhood they wrote letters to homeowners whose houses were not on the market and one of them responded.  They ended buying the house.  SO go for it!

I've already approached owners of a home on behalf of my buyers' where I knew the home met the criteria they were looking for. The worst that could happen is they say no, but best that could happen is they say yes. If you'd be upset if you learned that they did decide to sell and someone else bought it, then by all means...ask.

The bottom line is you dont' have to pay the agent, the seller does. Find yourself a Realtor.

Profile picture for Rushel Reed
homer2cute, meet Julianne O'Reilly.  She posted an answer here.  It seems like Julianne will be able to help you through some of the steps that you aren't clear on, and she works in the Syracuse area. You state in your original post that you are not looking for an agent, but you are also asking for professional help.  My suggestion is for you to decide if you want to remain unrepresented or would like the help of an agent. However, Julianne does get paid to represent you in a transaction.

Profile picture for DBcooper2
Can someone help how to Start a formal letter....I have everything ready ( bank, closing attorney) Its very hard to find a nice ranch in Town Salina (Syracuse ny) if you know any of them let know...4bd 2+bath 2500sq+

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
I had a previous neighbor ask me because the family wanted to move back in the neighborhood.

I don't mind that kind of "asking"; but for the most part, if you want to buy it, provide a formal offer in writing; otherwise it is just hypothetical and not worth even considering spending time on, and is sometimes just an annoyance.

Until there is a "formal offer", it is not even possible to counter it nor "negotiate".

It never hurts to ask. Just do everyone a favor...

"Don' ask 'just to see'".

If you're at least serious enough to do some homework (i.e., figure out basic costs, affordability, etc.), then you're no wasting the current owner's time.

However, I distinctly remember a person who put a "would you sell this truck" card on my truck. I was interested, called, and it was all a sales hagglle - used-car-sales-guy-canvassing-the-block. The idiot couldn't even tell me what kind of enigine my truck had.

So...

Feel free to ask. But, if you're going to take it to that level - do some homework so that the current owners know you're at least semi-serious.

I am a buyer's agent in Syracuse, NY and I can tell you I have asked owners of houses if they would be willing to sell their homes on behalf of my clients (which by the way costs you zero and ultimately saves you $$ big).  If you insist on doing this on your own, you'll need to first determine fair market value of the home, prepare a formal offer and get yourself pre-approved before attempting to approach an otherwise un-motivated potential seller.  Buyer's agents work very hard to get buyers the best home for the best price whether the homes are currently on the market or not.  Something to think about.

Profile picture for Realtyman1
It costs you absolutely nothing as a prospective buyer to have a professional Realtor locate the owner and either personally contact them or write them that they have a prospective client.

Be prepared to pay full market value or more.  People not looking to move are going to need to be motivated by something and that something is probably going to be money.

Profile picture for Rushel Reed
Perhaps you should draft a serious, formal offer for the property, and then contact the owner with it. You don't need a realtor for this, but it's possible that there is an agent in Syracuse that is experienced in selling/buying the local ranches.  Most local real estate markets have an agent or two who are known to be experts in a niche (perhaps Syracuse ranches or farms). 

If you know the address of the owner just send them a letter asking if they would like to sell. It is that simple.

Profile picture for DBcooper2
I mean for this occasion i do

I'm just throwing this out there as an idea, but why need a realtor to ask if you don't want one involved? Just find any salesperson (anyone not afraid to ask the question) and have them start it off. If it's easier just look them up in tax records and see if you can find a phone number. Even if they aren't interested they might appreciate someone taking interest in their home.