Is it sunny today?How does the weather affect home prices?

If I ask the question; "is it sunny today?" I might get a whole slew of different answers. Somebody might say; "yes but I see clouds on the horizon", another fellow might say; "yes but the wind chill factor makes up for the nice weather", another bloke would tell you; "ya it would be nice if I didn't leave my sunglasses at home today". It's a little bit that way with the real estate market. There are still plenty more opportunities for buying homes at affordable prices. It just depends if you see the glass as half full or half empty. As far as how the weather affects the market? The first 3 months of 2011 were some of the busiest months for home sales we had all year. And the same three month period was also the wettest. 
  • February 03 2012 - Grass Valley
  • 1

Well, are you going to publish a correlation study or not???

Or are you just going to make conjectures that the weather doesn't matter, and people should buy homes in -30°F weather with the homes 4 feet underwater 3/4 of the year for $38.2 million?

Of course climate and weather affect home prices, but I've seen no study that shows seasonal changes in value based on the temperature, nor variation in prices in different regions isolating only the climate factors.

As for all that mud you tracked into all of those seller's homes?  I hope you at least spent the time cleaning up the mess you and your clients made.

As for the glasses in the kitchen cabinets when you did the showings... why should they have anything in them?  Or are you talking about the "staging" of the dining rooms, and the wine you left out for 10 days to get stale, and for some potential buyer to accidentally bump the table to stain the lace linen table cloth, and seep into the hardwood floor, with nobody there to bother to clean it up?

What you perceive as "half full" is 100% full, as the glass was designed large enough to prevent careless spilling.  All mathematicians know that 1/2 full and 1/2 empty are exactly the same, and there is no difference of any kind.  And "1/2 full" people are "full of themselves", and are "1/2 witted".  It appears that people that spread propaganda about things being "1/2 full" are typically "down on themselves", and believing that what they have is not "sufficient".  Rather than saying you have 1/2 a glass, why don't you just say you have plenty?  You are not starving or dying of thirst are you?

OK first of all it NEVER gets down to -30°F in California and the homes usually don't sit under 4 feet of water unless you are from Yuba County, oh that's right they took care of that.

Oh, I thought you were trying to tell us why we should buy at the north end of Alaska near the ocean, and skip California, because you were implying that colder and wetter weather brought you more buyers....

There has been "summer" type weather and little rain at the south end of California this winter, so if you are implying that one should buy in California due to the weather, I guess you mean one should buy at the south end instead of the north end.  Besides, unless one is a politician needing to be in the Sacramento, job opportunities tend to be better at the south end too.

Of course, some people buy in the San Francisco area because they like rain most of the year.  It is a matter of choice and preference, not "negative thinking".

I take it that you don't sell properties in Plumas county or Shasta county either?

It's always sunny here. No really. It's attitude thing. Of course you are right that a lot more happens in the sunshine....rain excluded! Today's a great day to buy or sell a home...Well every day is a great day to buy or sell a home!!! 

Yes, in North Reading Massachusetts people really respond to a beautiful sunny day in February & March.  It is easier to get out and visit properties and fufill their New Year's resolution of buying a new home in 2012!

In the spring and summer is when transactions go up

The optimist sees the glass 1/2 full.
The pessimist sees the glass 1/2 empty.
An engineer sees a glass with excess capacity.

If it's raining, inside the house, it may not be good for sales.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
oddly enough, I pulled the MLS data in my market from last year to see what months had the most Pending transactions.  turns out it was also the one of the wetest or least sunny months of the year too.

i don't particularly think that people were writing contracts BECAUSE of the rain, in fact you might say that the extreme heat and miserable temperatures and extreme dry conditions in spring and summer last year had people hiding indoors and not looking - so they got out when it cooled off in October in spite of the rain.
however one year of activity does not make a trend- so I don't claim any kind of correlation just that last year home sales and weather pattern does not support that sunny days = better home prices or more sales.

I was surprised that October had the most Pending dates- I completely expected a spring month.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
AO
I suppose I could do a mixed chart with rainfall data and the sales/pending activity if I had rainfall data  or number of sunny days 

that data is probably available....not going looking for it today but it wouldn't be a waste of time.    maybe later (no promises yet...so overcommitted right now it's not funny)

Thanks for that Connie. Here in Grass Valley California, January was a very busy month for me and most other agents. Yet the rainfall was almost non-existent. Compare that to last Winter 2011, in which we had some of the most precipitation on record in the first 3 months of the year, which was also a very busy time for home sales according to data from the Nevada County Association of Realtors. So although we may have data showing less homes shown on certain days of heavy rainfall, there is not a negative correlation between the rainy weather and home sales activity in the most recent surveys. Thank you for your input!

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
we need some of that rain here!!! send it this way if you can.
I am curious to see if there is any relationship between weather patterns and sales.   I don't expect to find one but now that I am interested might go looking.  Of course, there is no way to really put a pending date with a date that people were LOOKING at houses or had submitted the offer, only the date that negotiation reached an agreement - which is USUALLY within a few days of offer submission (if short sales/REOs are elminated).