Profile picture for the4muellers

Is it too much to ask for timely feedback after your home has been shown?

We have had our family home on the Market for about 100 days.  We have had plenty of activity but, no offers (yet).   I am a Mom of 2 active boys plus work full time.  Before a showing,  I spend a minimum of 3 hours cleaning my home top to bottom so everything sparkles and shines.   I spend an average of $65.00 in fresh cut flowers to put throughout the home.  Fifteen minutes before a showing, I shove the kids and the dog into my car wink at St. Joseph and peel out of the driveway with great hope.  I do this because it is my part in selling and marketing our  home.   Is it too much to ask for the buyers agent to call within 48 hrs to provide feedback?   This is the opportunity for my real estate agent to gather likes and dislikes on our home and perhaps act quickly on negotiable dislikes.  Isn't this a business?  Why does my agent have to send several emails and voice-mails before she gets a response (if she gets a response)?  One of the buyers agents was even flat out rude to her.  If it is not too much to ask, when you take a client through a home, think of the seller and what they need to do to prepare for you and your client.  Please provide feedback in a timely and professional manner.  A little goes a long way!  Thank You
  • November 12 2013 - Windham
  • 3

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"Yes, Pasa, you are quite correct that you should refrain." -

Zillow moderator not only deleted about 4 other comments on that post related to the listing and photos on Zillow, but also another post I made regarding observations on the listing, such as no photos of the 3 car garage, and "why the 2nd staircase to only one room, with no connections between that room and the other upstairs rooms?".

I had also commented that it appeared that most of the ceilings were a 8ft, which seemed to me to be a bit low for a 4.1k sqft house.  I also personally like crawl space (or basements) under the house, and attic space above the second story; which the photos seemed to indicate was minimal.

I certainly hope that one of your weekend showings was beneficial in leading toward a successful offer.

Profile picture for the4muellers
I so appreciate everyone's comments!  Many of which I brought back to my realtor. 
 So... to answer some points made:  She does have electronic feedback set up. 

We have lowered the price on our home and it is very very competitive to the comps out there.  (Which is significantly less than we paid for it in 2001). 

I would never even think that a buyer would give me direct feedback I clearly understand communications are through the realtors.

I would never expect a buyer's agent to tell me what the buyer says.  That would ruin the negotiation on the buyer's side.   I simply want to know is it a yes or a no.  Mainly because I want to know is there hope or no hope in that showing.   I also respect the realtor's impression of my home.  Would they bring back another client?   Would they recommend it to a peer?  Do they think it is priced ok?

With regards to the flowers.... To me it is that extra touch and I should really budget..so thanks for the suggestions. 

With regards to the cleaning....I know I am over the top..but, we are in the top 3/4 of the market in my town.   I want someone to come in and feel that they do not HAVE to do anything when they move in.  I try to leave the house so people wonder if anyone lives here.

We had two showings this weekend and both resulted in some promising feedback (YAY)  The realtor's impressions were very positive.   We have an open house tomorrow.   Fingers crossed  I will keep you all posted!

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.  You have no idea how much it means!!!!

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
I certainly understand your frustration.  My sellers often lament about feedback.  As a suggestion - find a good silk floral arranger and substitute for the fresh flowers.  Save the $.

I have to agree with Mary Pope-Handy "Some buyer's agents do not want to provide feedback because they think it could potentially hurt either their buyer(s) or them down the road."

Your agent is not permitted to reveal conversations, comments or details about you to the buyers agent.  One of the duties of an agent is confidentiality.  It is the same with the buyers agent. What my buyer says to me - stays with me.  I wrestle with the sellers desire to understand what could be improved against my duty to my buyers.

The way I handle it is to clearly tell the listing agent - "I cannot share my buyers comments, however, I'd be glad to give you MY comments".  I make it clear these are my observation and suggestions.

Real estate agency is complicated.  Some Realtors don't even understand it.  I can appreciate the consumer struggles with it and views it as a lack of professionalism.

Most everything has been covered except one potential issue.  Some buyer's agents do not want to provide feedback because they think it could potentially hurt either their buyer(s) or them down the road.  I once heard a top producing ($40 mil per year in volume) agent say "providing feedback is marketing - and I'm not going to help that other agent to market his or her listing".  So she will absolutely not give feedback.  I have also seen feedback sometimes used against buyers if they initially reject a house and later circle back to it.  The negative things shared can make the seller or listing agent less likely to want to work with them.

The best solution, as others have suggested, are the quick online feedback requests with 3-5 questions. If the survey is too long, agents are unlikely to finish it (or do so completely).

If your home has been on the market for 100 days and you've had a lot of showings but no offers, it's probably a hint that your price is too high.  Please ask your agent to run the comps and see.  A competitively priced home should sell (even if you never get feedback at all).   Best of luck to you.

I certainly understand your desire, as a seller, to get feedback from agents who show your property. Plus, it helps both you and your agent to assess the how your home shows and whether it is priced right. I wish all showing agents would provide this type feedback. In my market, however, agents rarely provide feedback without being asked by the listing agent, either by phone or email. Even then, many agents don't respond. Trying to reach an showing agent by phone can be frustrating because they often don't respond to voice mail messages. However, there are many automated systems that will automatically send a email to the showing agent and request feedback in an easy and quick response form. Those systems can be set to follow up several times. They can even be set up to provide incentives for the showing agents to respond. You should check with your agent to find out what systems he/she is using to get feedback.

Good luck.

I feel for you, Mrs Mueller, but it just isn't the custom to call up the seller after a showing.

If this is something that you would prefer, you might ask your agent to put a statement in the agent / showing remarks to the effect of, "please call seller after show with feedback."

As both a real estate agent and as a landlord who has used real estate agents regularly, let me tell you that after 100 days you should be thinking about what you are looking for in a listing agent. I choose someone who is as on top of things as I am when I am the agent!

I always give feedback- always. And when I don't do that same day, in my MLS the auto-request gets sent again. I have to assume that if I didn't respond the listing agent would call me because that's what I do when there's no response. But I would also look at that 100 days. As said above, you need to decide whether selling now or selling later is more important. Windham is not rolling in buyers right now, but they are there. And buyers right now, in upstate NY, are serious. That is, if they are actually buyers.

I won't take folks out who haven't at least pre-qualified. I think that if they won't spend 15 minutes on the phone with a mortgage broker, which doesn't commit them to anything, they aren't actually serious. And I don't think you should have tourists in your house.

I also suggest- no flowers! If you think there may be a pet issue, clean the underlying cause with enzymatic cleanser, note in the listing that you have pets (for allergic viewers) and maybe burn a clean vanilla candle for a few minutes.
Keep laundry baskets in each room to toss toys and clutter into. If you have too much, box it up and put it in the basement or a POD.

Think about whether your listing agent is aggressive enough to get your home sold and whether yo are getting the communication and customer service levels that you are paying for and deserve.

Good Luck-

Gail Weiss
Keller Williams Realty
Lic NYS Sales Agent
[Removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

When I first started out 30 years ago I was under the belief that feed back, when requested, was required...ha ha.   It should be but isn't.

Not sure what system your agent is using but most have a softwear program that makes it totally easy for the showing agent to respond.

In your case I think I know what is going on.  If you have that many showings and no offers something is wrong with your price, condition or location. Absolutely. 

Time for a sit down with your agent - ask him or her to be brutally honest.

Profile picture for Data Now
Yes, selling real estate is a business, and Yes, upon a timely request a buyers agent/broker should take the time to communication with the selling agent/broker. There's a professional code of ethics that is suppose to be practiced within the Real Estate Community that we are to work with our piers for the best interests of all parties. 

We've found that "Auto Responder Requests" from a Key box, or other system management programs are just too easy for a buyers agent not get to in a timely manner....it's an unfortunate fact of human nature.

In our practice we use auto responders to notify us of a showing, thereafter, our policy is to make a personal phone call to the buyers broker requesting feedback within 24 hours of that showing. It's a great way to build, or continue relations with your markets buyers agents/brokers and get the feed back you need for your seller...! Lastly, be sure to thank each buyers broker for showing your listing, and be prompt with any requests for additional property information...!

You have every right to expect feedback and on going communication with your Realtor. That is a critical mutual expectation to set up when you first meet. There are several systems that the Realtor can put in place to get a timely response from auto-emailers, assistants to call, etc. How do you know what corrections, if any, can be made to make it more marketable if you don't get feedback. At a minimum, my sellers receive a weekly update with all the feedback I have gathered from showings. There will still be agents that don't respond to the requests, so they are just tallied as showings. Based on what you are sharing, you are a motivated seller, and your Realtor should be grateful and work hard to get the results you deserve.

As a professional and busy Realtor®, I have a few comments/responses.  
First, Kudos to you for making your home a "store front" and ready to attract a buyer.  So many home sellers take the mentality "well, I want to sell but this is my home and I dont want to disrupt my routine" then they wonder why the house sits. 

If an agent calls/emails me within 1-2 days, most times I will provide feedback.  

Here is where it gets dicey.  

Some agents will call a week after the showing for feedback.  Do you realize how many houses I (and most agents) have SEEN in a week? (Not acceptable when we are now getting notified electronically within 30 minutes in many markets)

Some agents will call/email with just the address.  No other information.  I rarely pay attention to just the address especially where I live and there are multiple Lake views, lake drives, or duplicate names.

Personally, I prefer the home feedback showing sites.  It gives the details of the house, gives  photo for visual folks, asks a few key questions and leaves room for comments if desired.  30 seconds and I am DONE. 

Then there are the agents that NEVER call.  There are some that I HOPE they call so I can give them feedback-- but about 80% of the agents never ask for feedback.  Ive even had some seller's call me.  Isnt that their agent's job???? 

Anyways, thanks for the post and good luck selling your home. 

Cassandra - Realtor®

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
This is a great thread to have new agents (and old ones ) read to serve as a reminder of providing professional service etc.   I don't have anything to add that hasn't  been said before but I wanted to keep up with this post to refer to it, and share as a reminder (and re-read myself).   It's important and we should never forget that it's important to provide feedback.  Showings are a huge interruption of your life and it's stressful to live in a house and want to sell it and the LEAST we can do is provide a response after a showing.

It's not too much to ask for timely feedback at all!  There are a couple of issues in your post.  1st:  don't spend the money on flowers, it won't make a difference, and hasn't over 100 showings.  2nd, clean as best you can, but don't break your neck.  Buyer's understand and your buyers probably have 2-3 children as well, so they get it.  Here's the scoop on feedback:  Brokers are really busy.  My Broker Feedback requests are automatic.  The minute your "showing window" is over, an email goes out to the Buyer's Agent.  This email goes out 3 times over the next 3-4 days until I get feedback.  If I never get feedback, after 3 attempts, I personally call the Broker and request feedback.  If the Broker is showing his/her Buyer, 40 homes over 3 days, sometimes it's difficult to sit down and give feedback.  If I never hear from the Broker, I "assume" (and this is a safe assumption) that no offer will be written.  The key is that your Broker is providing feedback on his showings, so that the favor is returned when he/she gets showings on your property.  I hope you have sold your home by now!

You can always request feedback from the agent(s) who showed your home. Most are happy to give you feedback, be-it from their professional PoV or insight from their client(s). Your agent, if using one (this is a general statement) should have the ability to track the showings and or you can have a sign in sheet with basic info.

I hope that helps.

-Shawn

Profile picture for troyreman
Wetdawgs: Its great to request buyers agents to only show qualified buyers the home, and yes, some listings can only be shown with special access given from the listing agent (usually high end luxury homes for obvious reasons, keep looky loo's out!), for this reason, but thats not reality, buyers agents can show just about any house on a lockbox, assuming they follow the instructions from the listing, call first, make appointment, have a supra key, license, etc. 

Of course an agent should have a pre-approval from a lender or proof of funds from a buyer before showing them any home, but that not the way it works more often than not. Many agents show homes to buyers that don't reallyqualify, are in the process of qualifing, or don't intent on buying the home they are looking at, could just be looking at home in their neighborhood becuase they want to sell there similar home soon. You would be amazed at how many agents will show a home to anyone with a pulse! I personally wont show a home without a pre-approval from a lender and also speaking with the lender in length, I'm not wasting my time on a buyer that cannot get financing, its a waste of my time and theirs too and gets someones hopes up for no reason. Buying a home is a big deal, and I treat it as such. Zillow is a great place for people to start their home buying process, but physically looking at a home with an agent is way down the line in the process.

When listing a home, a seller wants maximum exposure, that means opening your home up to any agent that wants to show it, I truly wish it wasnt that way, but its just the way it is. I cant tell you how many times I've had kids stain the carpet or people mess up bathrooms just to find out they have no business looking at the home. Actually had agents tell me, they dont qualify for that price but want to live in that neighborhood eventually! 

As far as clutter, this is a huge deal on selling a home, and I have personally seen people walk right out of a home because there was just too much junk everywhere, even tho I explained that once all the stuff is out of the home, its truly a great house. Having pets is the same thing, I've had buyers walk in, see a dog and walk right out, no interest if there was ever a dog in the house, yes, some buyers hate dogs, and I mean hate dogs! These things matter, sure the dog will be gone, the clutter will be gone too, but realty is that a clean, clutter free home sells faster for more money, that will never change.

Yes, Pasa, you are quite correct that you should refrain.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Now that I have seen the house on Zillow, I do have more comments... but I think I should refrain, other than to say "I don't like granite in the kitchen".

Yes, it is a very nice house, and you have displayed it well, but it is just not for me, [deleted by Zillow moderator]

Troy says a couple of things of concern:

"would hate for you to spend 3 hours just to have a buyer tour your home that cant even afford it" 
   My response:  Make sure the listing information for buyers' agents says to only show to buyers with pre-approvals in hand (not pre-qualifications, but actual pre-approvals)   Don't let agents waste your time with unqualified buyers.

"if all the clutter and carpet stains were bad, say so."
   These are two very separate subjects.  A buyer is not buying the contents of the home, so the buyer should look beyond any clutter.  If they aren't able to do so, that is their business not the seller's.    A good buyer's agent should help their clients with seeing the house not the contents.  Carpet stains, on the other hand, convey with the house.

Every agent should give feedback with 24 hours after showing a listing. Sometimes however, we are working with multiple clients in a day and its hard at the end of the day to remember to eat, sleep and breathe little alone fill out feed back request on 25 homes you were in that day, so we may need 48 hours, but it is the right thing to do.

As a listing agent and a buyers agent, I always try to treat my fellow agents as through I want to be treated and this is by providing feedback as soon as possible so they can report back to their client and make any repairs or price reductions that me or my clients suggested.

It sounds like you are doing everything right, and you are getting showings, that is a good thing. Be positive and keep your head up, your offer will come before you know it and when you least expect it!

Profile picture for troyreman
I always try to give feedback to showings as best I can, but I hear this often from other agents, there isnt really any value in a buyers agent to take the time to let an agent know feedback on a showing, unless the buyer had some interest in the home. When you show 20-30 homes a week, giving feedback to every home owner;s agent would be a part time job. I always answer my phone, and return messages, I'm always happy to give feedback, but usually I dont know much about the home or its prices, it could be in an area I'm not familiar with.  I usually figure if an agent doesnt call me after a showing, the buyer clearly didnt want to make an offer on it, so its not really important what they thought of it, but yes, it would sure be nice to know what they thought even if they have no desire to buy it.

Also many agents and buyers are too nice, and they wont really say what they dont like about the home. if it smelled, say so, if it backs up to a busy street, say its overpriced, if all the clutter and carpet stains were bad, say so. Some true honesty in our business would be refreshing, no matter how hard it is. Its important for sellers to hear the truth, no matter how tough it may be to hear. But yes, when a home is next to perfect and priced right and wont sell (I've been there many times) it is frustrating not to get feedback, at least confirming that your selling a great house at the right price.

Listing agents commonly will use negative feedback to tell their sellers what they could not themselves, your home is not worth what you told me you wanted to list it for, you dead lawn is a big deal, stuff like this should always be addressed.

Talk to your agent about automatic showing emails, I've set these up and you will have a better chance of getting feedback if its emailed to the agent asap.

I have put on low classical music, and always dim those lights too, another trick of the trade. Your doing all the right things to sell your home, dont go overboard tho, lots of people look at homes they have no interest in buying, just part of the business, would hate for you to spend 3 hours just to have a buyer tour your home that cant even afford it. 

Good Luck, be patient. 

Profile picture for Blue Nile
And by the way, what would you do if I said the window sills were too low for our furniture?  Nothing?  Or that the roof slope was too shallow?  Or not enough roof overhand on the west facing windows?  Or insufficient closet and cabinet space and yard tool and shop tool storage space?  My feedback on our needs, wants, and desires would be of no benefit to a seller, unless it was comments about "earth contact" on parts of the foundation, or that the slope of part of the yard was incorrect and needed to be changed to minimize water damage to the structures.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
As a "buyer", yes, it is "too much to ask".  Unless I intend to make an offer, it is none of my agent's business what I thought of the house, even if I could accurately describe the hundreds of issues that concerned me after I thought about it for 2 weeks.

I don't like my agent harassing me about what I saw, nor attempting to make foolish 10 minute decisions based on "initial impressions" from a 20 minute visit.   Any agent that tries that with me gets terminated, since I make it clear up front that I don't want them sharing their opinions on the houses with me, and that I have no intent of sharing any opinions on any of the houses I see for a minimum of 3 days after seeing it.  I need time to evaluate and process, and compare to what else is available, and compare to my extremely long list of requirements and priorities.

Sure, if I could put it all in a spreadsheet upon visiting, perhaps it could be printed out.  But the processing method is proprietary and I have no intent of sharing it.  Not to mention, if I filled it out while visiting, I would have no time to see anything in the 20 minutes the agent gives me, and I would need to stay at least 3 hours just to type the stuff in.  The best I can do when visiting is take a few notes.  And those notes are not "what I thought", but only "what I observed" with no measurable feedback of any kind.  Feedback takes time to process.

And NO, I absolutely don't care about your fresh flowers.  That simply is a "distraction" and would warn me that something was trying to be hidden, masking odors or something.

Having the home on the market is tough, I sympathize.   It sounds like you are working hard to hold up your end of the marketing, good job.

Feedback is highly over rated.   What will you do if you get feedback "doesn't meet our needs"  or "layout not right for our family" or "too close to the freeway" or "not enough bedrooms".   It is extremely rare that a seller can make corrections in response to feedback, unless several parties said "priced too high". 

$65 for flowers per showing sounds above and beyond.   May I suggest a couple of options: 
1.  Orchids last for months.    I buy them with one or two flowers blooming plus a lot of unopened buds in the spray.  I get six months out of them simply by adding a dollop of water once a week or so.   I pay $8 to $10.

2.  A bowl of fruit on the kitchen counter is colorful, healthy and something your family will consume.   Works well in place of flowers.

We're not the tidiest, cleanest people in the world but got it so that we could be show ready in 10 minutes.   Everyone had their tasks every day (even days with no showings scheduled).   In one case, the party who bought our house literally called from the end of the driveway while sitting in their agent's car  while I was chopping onions for dinner.   We asked for 5 minutes (and threw dinner makings and the dogs in the car, wiped the counter and skedaddled).

What a great question!  You have every right to feel the way you do.  It is very frustrating as a listing agent
to have to "chase" feedback.  Sad but true, that is what we have to do.  Some realtors just refuse.  You are
a listing realtors dream client.  Please continue to do what you do and your house will sell.  Good luck to you...

So sorry you're finding this out. You would think feedback would be really easy to get. When I started in real estate in 1996, I could only get feedback by calling an agent's work telephone number. I'd leave  two messages and then give up. I'd get feedback about 50% of the time.  Today, with cell phones, email, texts, automated feedback surveys, etc, you'd think you'd get feedback easily. Instead it's the opposite. For my listings, I get about 25% feedback. I try to prepare my sellers for that ahead of time.

I hope your experience proves to be better.

Profile picture for johnthyne
Hello Mueller family. Wow... you just hit on one of my "pet peeves" ... I make a point of ALWAYS giving the courtesy of feedback to the listing agents that I have shown their properties to potential buyers that I represent. I couldn't agree with you more! You are certainly needing feedback so that you can decide how best to sell your home. The feedback needs to be honest and succinct and most importantly - actionable! You may hear that your price is too high and perhaps at some point - if you hear it frequently enough - you and your agent should consider lowering the price and have your agent do some more recent comps. Sometimes people don't want to give the feedback because it may be considered negative feedback and certainly there will be some homes that buyers simply don't like. There could be reasons ranging from the size of the rooms to the color scheme to the layout etc.  You can't do much about the size of the rooms or the layout - but it would be helpful for you to know that this is the reason they didn't want to make an offer.
Please understand too, that many buyers are in different stages of "shopping"... some are no where near putting an offer on a home and just looking to get a feel of the market. The feedback from these buyers may not be as valuable, but, I think it's important that the buyer's agent still give the feedback to the listing agent. It's just plain common courtesy and I'm sorry to say that many of my fellow Realtors seem to lack that common courtesy. I hope that blog posts like this will help change that. I wish you and your agent the very best of luck in selling your home. Hang in there.... homes sell eventually!...    Regards, John

You are a selling agent's dream and you have every right to expect timely feedback. Your works will pay off and the future buyer of your house will be grateful for your efforts.