Profile picture for debbiejai

Is it true that it is harder to finance a condo rather than a single house?

I am interested in buying a condo in SF bay area. I read some articles online about new regulations make condo buyers find it harder to finance the condos .Please read this article I have friends that were interested in buying a condo in South San Francisco; however, they ended up buying a single home since they had a hard time in financing the condo....

I have quite good FICO score (761) and I received the gift funds recently (which would allows me to pay at least 40% as down payment). I haven't apply for pre-approval yet but will do very soon. Does it even make sense for me to get a pre approval before I know whether or not the condo communities will satisfy the new regulations?? Are there any places where I can find out delinquency rate of HOA of condo communities around the bay area?

January 24 2011 - San Mateo

You can get condo information from the HOA itself it the property management company that manages the HOA.... With 40% down you shouldnt have any problem getting a conventional loan..... where condoms can get tricky is with FHA loans, ad the condo complex must be certified by the FHA

It looks like that you are not going to have a problem getting a loan since you have 40% down payment and good FICO score.  The problem usually is with an FHA loan requiring the complex to be FHA approved.  You are good buying a condo.

First of all the answer is yes it can be harder.  Many hurdles will be avoided with 40% down but most local Realtor's and local mortgage lenders will know which complex's to avoid off the top of their head.  The lender will research to make sure but usually a call (like David said) will be sufficient.  The HOA association will know if loans are getting done in their complex or not.

I am not from SF area so take my advice with a grain of salt but I always suggest if you go with an established complex say 7 years or older you are usually ok.

See the thread below posted right after yours. They are saying over 60% of the total units are investment properties which is considered to be a non warrantable condo as far as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are concerned. I suspect the best condo deals you will come across will be non warrantable because only buyers with large down payments ( and a portfolio loan with a higher interest rate) or cash can buy them. 

http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Refinancing-Loan-Needed-on-a-Rental-Condo-n-Calif-that-is-Unwarrantable/382437/

you or your lender can check HUD approved condos for FHA financing on www.hud.gov or you can also shop for a HUD owned condo @ homepath.com.

Profile picture for Andy  Matejka
Latest reply by Andy Matejka
January 24 2011 | 5 answers
  • Posted by debbiejai
  • In Mortgage
I want to buy a 1,000,000 house.
Profile picture for Jon Petersen
Latest reply by Jon Petersen

1. 655 Parrott Dr, San Mateo, CA Home For Sale
    655 Parrott Dr, San Mateo, CA 94402

For Sale: $2,198,000

2. 1615 Marina Ct UNIT D, San Mateo, CA Home For Sale
    1615 Marina Ct UNIT D, San Mateo, CA 94403

3. 9 Parrott Ct, San Mateo, CA Home For Sale
    9 Parrott Ct, San Mateo, CA 94402

For Sale: $1,698,000