Is it typical that the realtor does not show you the comparative market analysis that they do?

Before writing an offer I asked my realtor if we could see some properties that are comparable to the property we are putting an offer on.  I had concern on the List Price which he suggested was a good price for the property.  I was not convince and I did some research on my own the next day.  He said he did the comparative market analysis, but he did not show us any property that was for sale or sold in the last 6 months.  Is it typical that the agent does not show you the comparative market analysis that they do?
  • June 18 2013 - Anchorage
  • 0

It sounds like you either had a lazy or inexperienced Realtor. Generally Realtors who are experienced can pull comps in a matter of minutes because they should know the market. You were right to ask for comps.

How odd. Is this Realtor representing you or the seller? 

Profile picture for SteadyState
It's not typical. But I can see why someone would not want to disclose the CMA if the intent is to get a buyer to overpay for the property.

It is very easy to get the com-parables for any property as the MLS has a great software program for just this. If an agent cannot show you the sold comps then something is not right.
I agree with Lynn Brock, "The agent did not provide you with basic real estate services so that you could submit a competitive offer."
Best Regards
Dorothy Wiggins
D N Wiggins Real Estate LLC

Profile picture for BrockRealty1
Anhorage,  RUN!  If the buyer's agent did not provide you with a market analysis showing recent sales; 30 days, 60 days and 90 days old (if info available)  

The agent did not provide you with basic real estate services so that you could submit a competitive offer. 

Number 1 rule in real estate,  Disclose, Disclose, Disclose. 

Find another agent. 

Best regards
Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.

Let's stop and think about this for a moment-. A buyer who is actively out viewing homes will probably have a good idea of the market to begin with. I educate my buyers, however I do not provide a WRITTEN CMA unless they ask for one. It's easy enough to show them sold comps, but in our market, prices are steadily going up, so pending comps are better. If an agent won't show yu something, whether in writing or on a computer monitor, then yes, I agree there's a problem.

You are right! Your agent should show you a listing of the homes in the area that are comparable to your home that have sold in the last six month. You were smart to look into it yourself, but you won't get the same information as an agent would.  I would be a little concerned. If he is not your BUYER AGENT than he is not working for you- he is working for the seller, even if he works for another RE company. I would get another realtor. A buyers agent, they will have you sign something saying they have your best interest at heart. Best of luck, honey I hope it works out for you.

Profile picture for Rayne Palmer
Yes. I agree. Your realtor should show you the market analysis for similar homes. I even call the realtor for properties that are currently pending to aabout offers received, ie, how many, all cash, with loans, how many over list price,  etc. Many realtors in our area are willing to share some of this information with other realtors. We may not get the actual purchase amount, but at least we can get an idea of where prices are going in that area, depending on how many offers,  etc.

I recommend talking to your realtor about this. And if they still don't  give you the information that you need to make an informed decision, then, in my opinion, they are not working in your best interests. Good luck in your home search.

I'll chime in - "NO" it is not typical at all - especially  if the agent is knowledgeable and has integrity.

Actually, it's not very smart for an agent to withhold that information - it's the same information an appraiser will be looking at once you apply for the loan.......it better comp out, so getting a sense of the market value via a CMA  now is good information  everyone should have , including the agent.

Hold your ground and insist on seeing a CMA.....an honest one!

Best wishes..........

An agent should educate you and provide any supporting information that will allow you to make the best educated decision. That includes showing you the comps. It is very important for you to understand the market conditions and what the status is of that property. That is good you are also doing your own research however can work together with your agent to figure out your best offer.

Any and all information requested regarding a CMA should be available to you.  Request it again, especially after all this advice.  I provide this as a standard package with all my deals.  The more informed the client, the smoother and happier the transaction.

It is important for you as a buyer to have as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision regarding your investment. Your agent has, as one of their responsibilities to provide that information. Keep in mind that in some areas it was difficult at one point to find sales within the past 6 months that are not foreclosures which may have a lower sales price. In this market your agent should not have a problem finding comparable listings, pending and closed sales and expired property listings that when viewed and analyzed together can give you a pretty good estimate of market value.

Profile picture for Amanda Helm
Information is always key in your purchase.  There should be no reason your agent should not have shown you all the information in the CMA.  In fact, I find the more information my buyers have the better and more smooth the transaction becomes.

All agents we've worked with have shown us the details of the CMA.   If they aren't willing to do so after  you've asked nicely, then I smell a problem

Profile picture for Rada Ann Labe
 Sounds like your agent was scared of something!  Definitely not typical!  If you want, call a title company and ask them for comps, or call the manger of this agent. What's been  happening in our market (San Diego County) is that there are so few homes for sale, prices are going up.  The process of supply and demand.  But prices have not risen that much.  And if you are getting a loan, make sure you get an appraisal.  They will show you the comps for this home.  Good luck. 

This is not typical. Your agent works for you, he should be showing you all of the data possible to help you make an informed decision about your offer price. He can provide his professional opinion, and uses the CMA to do so, but it's your decision on what price to offer. I don't understand why he would be unwilling to share this report with you, I 100% share it with my clients, it's part of the process.

Good agents are happy to talk to you about recent similar sales. If yours is not forthcoming, I would ask them why and tell them about your concerns. I would not make an offer without knowing about recent sales.

Asking your agent about recent sales and listing vs asking prices a sign of you being a smart buyer. Stand your ground, ask for the information you need and expect your agent to represent your interests or find another agent.