Profile picture for Indyhouse5372

Is it worth it to repave my driveway? Will it help the resale value?

We are thinking about putting our house up but thinking about repaving the driveway. Will it help sell it or is just a waste of our money??

March 31 2009 - US

I have done some research and lectured home owner subdivision on adding value to there properties and I have found that it only takes 7 second for a person to form an opinion on if they want to see more of the property by just seeing the front of the home. In all that in mind I would patch and reseal a driveway if it was needed, but I wouldn't stop there. The whole front yard would need to look good. Put yourself in a buyers seat and you drove up to a house and the driveway looked old and cracked and the yard was full of weeds ( I am not saying yours is) and there wasn't any color and the bushes wasn't trimmed what would you think? I would also drive around and see what your neighbors are doing to see what your competition is up too. If you are about to list your home, you are about to sell a product on the shelf for everybody to see. Now you need to see who has the best product for the money. The bottom line if you think the driveway needs it do it and clean up the yard trim the trees and bushes and put a little splash of color in with your landscape beds to make the whole thing pop.

It really depends on the house, the condition of the drivewy and the cost of repaving. you might want to look into doing a skim resurface if it is lightly cracked but not heavily damaged. It may give your house a cleaner better kept look without breaking the bank or costing you too much that you may not see back in the sales price. Do you have any idea how much repaving might cost?

This very much depends on the condition of the driveway now. Many times just patching and resealing is all you need to look great. From and Inspectors point of view I can tell you that how a home looks when I drive up goes a long way as to how comfortable I feel about the homes overall condition.  Don't forget also that you don't want to give buyers reasons NOT to buy your home. I have found however, that many people dont worry too much about something that is usable and that can be corrected over the long run...but that first impression lives in your sub-conscience for a long time.  So resale value not so much. Sellability much more.  (Just my opinion :)

As Franmacd said, the driveway is going to be part of the buyer's first impression of your house.  If it does not look right, they are going to wonder what else is wrong.  First impressions matter.

So, what is not right about your driveway?  If it is dirty, there are cleaners used in conjunction with pressure washers that work wonders, and cost a lot less than repaving. 

If the driveway is deeply cracked, damaged, cannot be driven on; yes, repave it.  Use materials consistent with your neighborhood.

If, as seems likely, it is somewhere in between, talk to your realtor  and talk to a professional.  Get their recommendations and the estimated cost.  Make your decision from there.

A little. the up side a driveway in need of repairs sends out a message, what else is in disrepair!  It will sure help show that the property has a caring and proud owner and buyers usually feel more comfortable with such a property. It will help bring a better price for the property not add value to it.  Value is one thing, what buyers are willing is quite another. And then, there is the lender anbd the appraiser.  I am a Realtor.  I can't tell you what your home is worth, what the replacement cost will be, but I can tell you what it will most likely sell for.  Hope this is enlightening.