Is professional home staging really worth it?

How does everyone feel about paying to have a home staged prior to putting on the market? Is it worth the cost vs. benefit?
  • January 24 2013 - Granite Bay
  • 0

Honestly, with the internet, you can obtain alot of staging tips.  I try to keep things simple for my clients, I have a handout for staging tips and I also help stage it myself.  It's not rocket science, but I have seen some really nice work from professional staging reps,  if you have the extra money to put out, that's the key word, extra.  go for it..
  • February 21

All great answers here for sure! I will also say that many Realtors not only take classes and training on Real Estate Sales but also in Photography, Home Staging, Construction, Title 5, Legal, Etc... so another smart option would be to list your house with an experienced Realtor who can then handle a lot of these things "with" you! I pull my hair out everytime I see a seller start down the road of doing many of these things prior to listing with a good agent... here are just a few good examples:

#1 Realtors will know what is smart to do VS what is likely a waste of your money.

#2 Realtors may have coupons and discounts for services like home staging that YOU do not (more wasted money!)

#3 Realtors know who is good and who is not so good (perfect example is seller preforming their title 5 inspection with a company who installs title 5 systems)

#4 Good Realtors can help move items, set up the house, declutter, enlist sub's, have repairs made, meet and supervise appointments, plan a time line, etc.

I will say this again...A good Realtor is worth their weight in gold to a seller!

Best Wishes!
  • February 21

Profile picture for neviljeff3
Yes, it can help to either sell your property faster or can also help to increase the value of your property from the view of perspective buyers. There are some great companies out there, one that I have used in particular http://www.roomservicebycort.com/property-marketing/dress-let was really helpful. 

I would certainly recommend using a home staging company, especially if you are in the luxury/high-end market, as it can make your home more appealing to potential buyers,   

• February 21

I always advise my sellers to think of it as they are getting an advance kick in the pants to start sorting through their stuff prior to their move.  They are going to be packing up anyway. So, they might as well create 3 categories; keep, toss or donate. I give them a local charity # called Home Front and Viet Nam Vets to select from for the donation items.  If there's too much to keep and it still looks cluttered, then a POD is an excellent idea.  Just take it and move it to the new place.

Professional staging varies depending on each part of the country.  My are in Princeton, NJ doesn't have a lot of heavy duty staged properties for sale.  I help with advice on "thinning" and decluttering.

There's staging, and there's decluttering. For the average home, decluttering is most important. Rent a POD (portable storage unit) and stick in it EVERYTHING you don't need. The less stuff in your home, the better. Then clean, clean, clean.

Professional staging is great in two ways: 1) the stager can help you see the big picture and give you an unbiased opinion about things like wall colors, knickknacks, carpet, etc. ... 2) for more expensive homes, the stager is vital for helping you upsell the house with luxurious items.

We have a great professional stager who takes into account the price of the home and works with every buyer who requests her help, no matter the size of the home. Many times a stager will give you a quick, free estimate, and you may be pleasantly surprised by what you receive. 

Every detail counts.  De-clutter, clean and stage a home before puting on the market always help to show a potential buyer the best use of the space and help the seller get it sold at a higher price and faster than the ones are not.
Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

I think the most important thing a seller can do is to make sure their home is clean, free of clutter and personalization. Sometimes all it takes is a new perspective using the sellers own furnishings to "stage" it. 

Love all the replies... I agree that staging is worth its weight in gold.  Especially if the client is at or near the break even point on their net proceeds.  Sometimes it's hard to convince them that a couple thousand dollars investment could yield them 10's of thousands more and more than likely avoid a price reduction.  

Staging is a multi-level endeavor. Think of it like this.  Read...set...selll!When you are trying to sell a listing at the highest possible price, the most important thing is "staging" the home to look the best you can.
What does that look like? Depends on the price of the home you're selling AND most importantly your budget. 
If the home is empty, putting a few simple objects in the kitchen, on the walls and in the bathrooms make it a little more inviting without breaking your budget.  If you're bold, putting in larger furniture gives the buyer an idea of how big the room is. There are some rental furniturre places that will be happy to work with you.
Is the home occupied? Work with your sellers on de-personalizing and getting rid of clutter and use their things (if acceptable) and if you have to add in a piece of two of your own to offset it,  great. This gets your sellers engaged. 
Having said that, there are some professional stagers out there that take it out of your your hands "for a price" and do an incredible job. Some agents have even put the cost into their marketing for the sellers to pay for.
At the end of the day A staged home will always sell for more....period!Does the ends justify the means? I would say yes! 

Hi Chris, Staging depends on the area, and the home. For some homes, it may not be worth it. For multi-million dollar homes, it's a must. You should also realize that you can do staging with your own furniture and other things around your home. Decluttering would be some type of staging, rearranging the furniture, and such. Some realtors provide staging help. Others, like myself, provide a complimentary staging consultant. Douglas Lagos Realtor, Certified HAFA Specialist Coldwell Banker Residential

Chris,

If you want to save money, there is "virtual" staging. You e-mail pictures of empty rooms and the virtual staging company ads carpet/rugs, window treatments, furniture and paintings. I think staging helps sell and virtual staging was less expensive then pringing in furniture for the pictures.