Profile picture for kohdesign

Is putting less that 20% down (on a second home) possible in NY state?

My lender is saying I need at least 20% down for a conventional loan - is there another type of mortgage available in NY state that I could put 10% down? I am willing to pay PMI, but my current lender is saying this is not an option. Please advise!
  • October 21 2013 - Riverhead

Below is a list of the programs available to you in NY, CT & NJ. For information on rates you must reach out by my profile since I am not allowed to post rates in this section.

THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS ARE AVAILABLE FOR UP TO 90% SECOND HOME- (1 UNIT ONLY)

30 Year Fixed
20 Year Fixed
15 Year Fixed
10 Year Fixed
10/1 ARM
7/1 ARM
5/1 ARM

You can contact me by my profile in case you have any questions or concerns about your specific scenario.

Good Luck!!!!
  • February 21

It may be that the lender you spoke with requires 20% down, however, the lenders I'm delegated with only require a 10% down payment and NO PMI for 2nd Homes. This is why it's so important to receive accurate information from a trusted and knowledgeable source. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may discuss the details in greater depth and weigh out all of your available options; my contact information can be found within my profile.

Kindest regards,

Paul F. Marzolla
Sr. Mortgage Advisor

When you say 2nd home do you mean "vacation home" or do you plan on renting out this home at all?  If renting then no 10% down but if not and it qualifies as a 2nd home/vacation home 10% if available to those that qualify.  Feel free to contact me via my profile if you would like to discuss.

It is definitely an option. Feel free to contact me for further information. Riverhead isn't too far from our office if you prefer to meet face to face.

You will have to qualify with both payments but 10% down is doable and there are ways to manage the mortgage insurance so that you do not have to pay it on a monthly basis.

Profile picture for kohdesign
Thank you all for your replies...
Loan would be on a second home - we are pre-qualified for this - a purchase price up to $400K with a min of 20% down. Trying to obtain a mortgage for 10% down of a purchase price of $350K. We have a mortgage on our primary home but are well over the 80/20 ratio. Credit score over 740. Just trying to see if it is at all possible to get a mortgage today with less than 20% down on a second home. What are our options?

Details, details...

You'll see that none of the respondents have asked about the loan amount (or score, or property type, etc) so I assume none of them have any restrictions in that matter; should you for example be trying to borrow $2,500,000.

There are several options available with that amount of down payment. We are a Direct Lender in 50 states. Please visit my profile if you would like more information.

Profile picture for Chris Corica
Yes 10 % is fine. Feel free to contact me through my profile for a no cost, no obligation rate and fee estimate.

You can do 10% down on a second home with a multitude of lenders and the loan can be structured so as to not pay monthly mortgage insurance.  If you would like to contact me through my profile, I can put you in touch with a licensed loan officer in my group to help out.

I have a purchase product that only requires 10% down without mortgage insurance & Investment properties are included! Contact me through my profile if you're interested.

GL

Yes, you do have other options. I am a Senior Consultant with a National Lender, and do much of my business in NY. Please feel free to contact me through my profile at anytime. Thank you and good luck.