Profile picture for lawolf

Is small closet in master a real big problem? Are buyers expecting huge closets?

January 11 2009 - Tega Cay

Profile picture for Melody91
In general, people DO want walk-ins...We DID find a walk-in which thrilled us when we bought; however, as referred to above, it was NOT efficiently structured, and one had to PLOW through one whole row of clothing to get to the other; which also hurt physically and was almost impossible, as it got SO stuffed.

I humbly agree with some of the excellent advice given above about the efficiency of the storage; how well planned out it is...I would certainly have preferred less inefficient and unusable space in favor of more efficient usage.

The idea for the French Doors or even for the Oriental Style with the rice paper, also adds a nice dimension of either shine&reflectivity, or a more serene Feng Shui type of calm modern design, which is becoming more and more popular and "in mode."  Good luck and hats off to the person with the HUGE walk-in closet, 12X 12. In some paces they call that a room (if it has a mini-closet & a window). 

I agree with Nate in that an organized closet is the key. Systems to maximize the verticle space, and help organize the everyday horizontal space are more useful than anyone realizes until they install org systems. 

Organized closets are more important than huge closets. 

When re-doing my master and other bedroom, I added closet systems rather than making it a walk-in closet. This actually added more useable space than a walk-in would have provided. And it left more space in my room-- which was small enough already. I also used divided glass french doors rather than solid wood doors which added another "reflective" quality in the room.

In your case, it depends on the room, but buyers definitely want as much storage as they can get. In some rooms there has to be a balance between huge closets and the living space left in the room.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
I hate to say it, but yes, people want storage.  Having said that though, we sold our house last Feb. and we had virtually no storage lol.  Our master closet was teeny, as were they all in every room.  But, our buyers loved the charm and character of an older house.  They loved the neighborhood, location and bought it.  If everything else is what they want, that can be changed.  You can add storage, but you can't add a bigger yard, better neighborhood, etc.

I'm building a walk-in in my house now. Apparently the original builder assumed leprechauns were buying the house (only a few feet tall and only one outfit).

It depends on the property and the buyer as to how big of a deal it is. It is definitely a feature people seek out frequently.

Profile picture for Buckeye45875
We have a 12' x 12' master walk-in with built-ins so I hope that's what people want! I know I love it and I will miss it when we sell. I also know I will probably never find another house in my price range with a closet like this one.

Profile picture for bvi2002
I held out for a walk-in and am glad I did, both for the resale value and because it is really nice to have that space.