Profile picture for richthsi

Is squatting legal in Maryland?

The home I grew up in is abandon. I want to buy it even with black mold in the basement but they won't foreclose on it and my credit is terrible. I make a great living now over 100,000 a year. Could squatting force them to sell to me even with bad credit? I don't want the home for free but I really do want it.
  • August 11 2014 - Severn
  • 0

Squatting is not legal, but it happens. When it does, the owner goes to court to file an illegal detainer against the squatter. In Maryland, you do not gain squatters rights or adverse possession in MD until you can can show use of the property for at least 20 years.

If you want to buy this house, make the bank an offer. Credit sounds like it's an issue, but FHA loans with 3.5% down can accept lower credit scores. Most lenders don't go below a middle score of 620, but a few lenders have said they will do scores of 580 with a larger down payment.

Credit is fixable, so work on that. I would caution you against buying for sentiment. Black mold is a costly thing to fix. I know you love the house, but consider keeping the memories, taking some photos and letting the physical house go.

No, squatting can't force anyone to sell you anything with bad credit or superb credit.

You have great income, you know your credit is bad, why not start working on improving your credit? 

Profile picture for MovewithMarci
Squatters do not have right of first refusal. They will just evict you. Squatting is not legal!