Profile picture for nazarfish

Is that true that Edgewater, NJ is very polluted area?

We whant to buy a condo at Independend Harbor complex, but a lot of our friends say that an area is polluted. I could not find any reliable source of info. Does anybody knows?
  • January 26 2009 - Edgewater
  • 0

Profile picture for StamfordBuyer
There is a HUGE issue now. There is an original superfund (extremely toxic) site towards the south end of edgewater which is now going to be entombed in concrete and they will likely build something - I bet the construction will disperse toxins in the air...

Now on the North end, Veterans park was contaminated with toxic soil has been FURTHER contaminated during the cleanup efforts as the contractor brought in EVEN MORE TOXIC soil to replace the soil being removed. The town EVEN ADVISED RESIDENTS TO KEEP WINDOWS CLOSED DURING THE DAY!!! So you are surrounded on both sides by toxins...I would NEVER live in Edgewater anymore

http://www.northjersey.com/edgewater/Contractor_to_remove_contaminants_from_Edgewaters_Veteran_Field.html?page=all

Profile picture for StamfordBuyer
Sorry the link did not post as a link - so here it is again http://edgewater-nj-is-toxic.tumblr.com

Profile picture for StamfordBuyer
see this http://edgewater-nj-is-toxic.tumblr.com and then think do you even want to chance raising kids here? I am not sure what the truth is but probably something in between what that blog claims..not taking chances

Checking superfund site is a good idea. There is a list of site in NJ from the EPA here that might be a good place to start. You can also use this search to see all sites in Bergen County, NJ. Hope it helps.

Profile picture for petersen4
Check the EPA website for superfund sites. They have to disclose where they are and whether they have been cleaned or in the process of being cleaned. If there is a superfund site and it's pending cleaning, keep in mind that the federal government has very tight pockets now and are cutting funding. I would assume if it's not an immediate health hazard/threat, it may get pushed to the bottom of the "to do" list. Just a thought. Also, I just recently looked into NJ superfund sites after HBO did a special on the FORD dump site in Ringwood...its frightening how many superfund sites are in such a tiny state. Good luck

Profile picture for ratrace_1
There should be soil test records, start there.

Edgewater was an industrial town evolving into an exclusive waterfront community. 
There are several sites that have been remediated and developed and some that are noted as Superfund sites.
Obviously building permits and CO's have to be provided prior to construction or occupancy.
I am [link removed by moderator] and an expert on Edgewater condominium.

Profile picture for hawami
Hi, The City Place and the Promenade are two properties directly next to the Superfund site, which is called Quantas Resources. EPA has completed plans for remedial work.

Independenace Harbor is slightly away from the site so I presume it is OK. I have heard many great comments from residents there.

Norther Jersey has many old industrial sites in general.

Profile picture for fhubert
City Place is right next to an EPA Superfund hazardous waste site and most of City Place was built on a hazardous waste landfill that was capped.  I recall that there was an explosion during construction when some of the leaking methane ignited.  You can't expect that the hazardous waste seeping from the EPA will be contained by just a chain link fence!

There is another condo development (I think Independence Harbor) directly on the waterfront has had serious seepage issues also from coal tar creosote that was dumped there early in the century.  They had to install a boom in the water to contain the leakage.

You should do your research before you buy.

Profile picture for CMagdelinskas
If by polluted you mean air pollution, no more so than the surrounding towns - now the hidden fact is that much of the edgewater being built on today os landfill, and select areas have toxicity in the soils. For illustration, down by the port impereal ferry ( weehawkwen, not edgewater) there was a huge issue when they built down there where they had to cart in massive ammounts of soil to cover ther existing land to get to save levels to build on. In Edgewater the only major issue with toxicity i know of that has been confirmed is the former site of the Alcoa plant, whre they build new condos on.

--C

Profile picture for desiasim
I don't believe that it is. I live in a new development just off Edgewater in Weehawken, I used to rent down in Edgewater before I purchased.  It's a great area that has cleaned up greatly with the vast condo complexes and restaurants coming in. 
It's just like Hoboken or Secaucus the area is being developed much greatly than before.
My only recommendation is use the services of a realtor because the Agents working for the Developer play a hard game. The condo I purchased was listed at 925,000 and my realtor got it for me at 860,000 which includes the parking they wanted to charge and addtional 25k for.  Let me know if you want his info.
G'luck.