Profile picture for sssten

Is the Fourth of July weekend a good time to have an open house or a bad time?

June 20 2010 - North Raleigh

If the home is vacant it is a great time, or if the seller are up for it.
I bought my current home on a holiday weekend.

Yes it is no one is going to be around

I made a big push to bring two listings on the market last weekend so that I wouldn't be faced with the necessity of doing open houses on the 4th of July.  Enjoy your weekend and get back on it the following weekend, when 90% of the country won't be BBQ'ing, boating, etc....

Holiday weekends are usually very slow for open houses.  With July 4th actually being on Sunday it has the makings of a true waste of time.  Enjoy the day with your family!  I wouldn't be opposed to doing an open house on Saturday the 3rd.  It might not be busy, but remember that you only need one buyer for your home.

Simon Mills
Mills Realty
[contact info removed by moderator]

Depends on the property. If you have a property located near a major event (such as fireworks, or a park, or some other draw where people will see your signs) you may find that many visitors will stop by.

Will this sell the home? Probably not, but you may get some new buyer clients.

I agree with James,  the 4th itself is a slow day.  However, here in the Portland, Oregon Metro area, the holiday weekend is usually quite active.  I have been selling real estate since 1981 and have been out with many buyers on a long holiday weekend.
Good luck.
Sue Graves

My experience with holiday weekends is that the turn-out is low. The only "holiday" that I'll even consider anymore is Father's Day.

I put a big-red "x" through the other days when there is a day-off on Monday for a holiday.

You have an adorable house and I bet some of those flowers are blooming.  As Kelly said; any time you can expose your home to potential buyers that is a good thing.  I have found that holiday weekends with Monday off are not a bad thing for open houses.  Often people have extra time and your home appears to be in the first time buyer range so many of them are not off celebrating holidays out of town because they are trying to save money for their first home.  The best exposure by far for your home will be in the mls which will also place it on REALTOR.com, Zillow, Trulia, newsobserver.com and many other sites.  Maybe by July 4th your home could already be under contract and you ca go and enjoy the holiday weekend:)  If you want to discuss that option or have any other real estate questions please feel free to call me or send an email through Zillow.  I have been selling homes in N. Raleigh for 18 years and have lived in N. Raleigh for 21 years so I am very familiar with the market.  Best of luck selling your home!

Well, to answer your question...our office does a lot of Open Houses and in our experience holiday weekends, (whether it is July 4th, Memorial Day, Father's Day, etc.), have low turn-out. But despite the possibility that no one will show up isn't it more important that you may miss an opportunity to sell your home? Every time you can expose your home to potential buyers is a chance that it will be seen, loved, and purchased. This is under the assumption that the Open House program is done right. I would say if you have the time do the Open House.

Best,
Kelly R. Smith
[link removed by moderator]

In all cases, at least Saturday or Sunday would be before or after July 4th, thus apparently what James is stating is it makes no difference.

My opinion is the turnout will still be low.

But I would rather attend an Open House on July 4th than to see "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, giving proof through the night that my kinsmen were being murdered".

I have no use for "independence day" anyway as California wasn't stolen for almost a century more, and "independence day" only made it obvious that it was a nation of slaves owners and murderers and thieves of the Natives of the country.  So what that the country became independent of a now dead King?  It is still taxation without representation, and it is clear that the people don't believe they were "created", nor that "all people are equal" (especially non-citizens), and all the "inalienable rights" to be granted to everyone in the world were already denied to most citizens of this country.

And the "Boston Tea Party" was nothing but vandalism of private property and acts of terrorism.

Have it on April 15th for a sure fire flop.

Have it before or after July 4th, but not on that date.

Take off the 4th and kick your heels up........you will be ready for the open house!

James Callas - Realtor®