Profile picture for nikita10

Is the suiside of the previous owner make any differents in the price of the house?

Is the suiside of the previous owner makes any differents in the price of the house?
address: 400 Verdant Cir., Longmont, CO 80501

April 18 2009 - Longmont

Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
2009.

Profile picture for Best Miami Beach
We recommend you research what you are legally required by law to disclose as a selling agent. For personal reasons, along with many other reasons, it would be best to hire a local realtor. Best of luck.

I just researched this question two years ago when I had a listing with a suicide past. I represent my seller's as a seller's agent and therefore am under obligation to represent their best interests in a transaction. Of course, we disclose everything we legally are required to as that is also in their best interests to protect them. However, in Colorado as a seller's agent I am actually NOT to disclose any information that would physiologically impact the saleability of my seller's home - which would include suicide. It may be different in other states, but that is the instruction from DORA on the matter in Colorado. We priced the home at fair market value to sell within the time frame specified by the seller and sold it within 60 days.

In Colorado it is not something that needs to be disclosed to buyers. I would make sure that your Realtor is aware and informed in case the question came up but it is not information I would voluntarily offer to potential buyers.

I ran a few internet searches.  This question sparks some very emotional reactions. Many people said, "No way would I purchase."  More people said, "I would purchase but I would expect the price to be reduced."  A few people said, "NBD.  If I liked the house, I would not care."

I think your pool of potential buyers is reduced.  That means it may take longer for the house to sell.  And, yes, the selling price will probably be impacted. 

I suggest you interview and find an agent you trust to help you with this.  This house may require some special handling.  And, your agent should be able to draw on her/his knowledge of the community help you set the price.

If we are talking about a member of your family or a friend, please accept my sincere sympathies.

Mike wrote: "In Minnesota suicides need not be legally disclosed to potential buyers. Although if I had a client with a home in that situation,  I would encourage them to disclose, but it would be at their option."

If a Realtor has knowledge of something that would affect the desirability of a home, would it not be ethical to disclose a condition even if the seller chose not to disclose it?

In Minnesota suicides need not be legally disclosed to potential buyers. Although if I had a client with a home in that situation,  I would encourage them to disclose, but it would be at their option.

If a murder has occurred at a property and the owner is aware it, they are required by Minnesota law to disclose the fact to potential buyers.

I have inspected a few homes where a suicide or murder had occurred. A little creepy, but my clients all got a great deal. It is a recognized stigma and must be disclosed to all interested parties.

Not usually.   Some people won't touch it, but for most people it is not an issue.