Profile picture for vtjustin23

Is there a definition of a Closet?

I have a room that has all the requirements of a Bedroom in my state. Closets are not required in the definition, but I understand that in Real Estate Circles they won't consider the room a Bedroom unless it is a closet. Personally I could care less, about a bedroom definition and have done a lot of research on it. My question is what makes a closet?

The area I am converting into a Bedroom could be used as an Entertainment room, or for other purpose so I wanted to build a Removable Closet.  My idea was to hang a removable closet system on one of the walls and hang a curtain or other temporary door in front to separate it from the room. That way it could easily be removed if in the future it was to be converted back. I understand "Open Closets" are a fad in many smaller apartments however, would my idea actually constitute a closet?

• June 24 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Blue Nile
For hospital patent rooms, the closets only require 1.5ft of clothes rod.

For a house, I don't think many are going to accept only 2ft of clothes rod.

If one does "sliding doors", one can easily unhook them and just hang a curtain if that is what they prefer.

Clothes rod brackets are low cost and easy to install, and are designed to mount a shelf board on top.

Sure, one can buy one of the more expensive garage storage systems, and configure anyway they like, but why bother if you don't need to store very heavy stuff, and don't need the re-configuration ability?

Definition?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/closet?s=ts
"a small room, enclosed recess, or  cabinet for storing clothing,  food, utensils, etc."

It used to be very common to just have a "wardrobe" piece of furniture instead, but Americans like to have 20 or 30 of everything.

Lets see, there was one very well known Carpenter that only had one set of clothes... you would have thought he would have built a wardrobe or closet if he needed one... about 2k years ago?  Was the name Yashua?  I think the name transliterates to English as "Jesus"? 

Due to hanger width, closets are rarely less than 20" deep.

Some people prefer "cabinets".
Whether one does one, two, or 3 rows of clothes rods really depends on the length of the items one plans to hang.

If one does a "walk in", one can get rods and shelves on at least 3 different walls.

Americans like "storage", but it helps if one uses storage space efficiently and effectively, and if one can actually get to the items stored.

Profile picture for Jeff Mota
Hi There,

In my experience a closet should be a substantial, built-in, attached "fixture".  There's a great Wikipedia article on the legal concepts of fixtures in real estate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixture_%28property_law%29

Here in Chicago we do require closets in bedrooms and I've seen builders install attached armoires or custom cabinetry with doors.  A quick Google image search for "attached armoire closet" will yield a bunch of examples.

The most important thing is to comply with your local building and zoning codes, and to clearly identify what is included at the time of sale.  Most sale/purchase contract forms have check boxes for "attached selving" and lines to explicitly include and exclude items from the sale.

Hope this helps!

Profile picture for vtjustin23
Whole or chopped up in small pieces? :)

A room large enough to hold a skeleton.