Profile picture for foojoy

Is there a standard amount of elec outlets per room/sq ft per room?

August 07 2009 - West Mount Airy

Pasadenan

"But this is a really OLD thread, so I'm sure the original poster is not looking back for any answers anymore."

Sorry, I came across the post because I was looking to confirm the answer to the same question. I did not look at the date of the original post when Google returned me the link. 

Older homes do not need to comply with present codes for outlet spacing.  Thus, no, there is no standard for buying existing homes.

As already mentioned, for present code, each continuous wall space (including going around corners) needs at least one outlet, and no more than 12 feet apart for larger wall areas.  Any doorway or wall furnace... starts a new wall section.  Unless a window goes all the way to the floor, a window does not start a new wall section.

The kitchen needs a lot more outlets, and bathrooms require GFI outlets, with the circuit not shared with other rooms.  Older homes grandfathered in may not have the dedicated circuits, but still needs GFI for any outlets within 6 feet of a sink, or outdoors.

But this is a really OLD thread, so I'm sure the original poster is not looking back for any answers anymore.

Hi Foojoy,

That is a great question. I own Generation 3 Electric and have been reviewing my records to see if I can come up with an answer. The NEC has rules for outlet spacing but they are written for linear wall distances. With the idea that any manufactured item with a 6 foot cord in the general living areas or 2 foot cord in the kitchen will be able to plug in without an extension cord.  There are no square foot requirements. I have review our records for Average home in the Philadelphia to come up with a ballpark answer.

Answer:1 outlet per  34 sq/ft on a average room.   

The code is 6 feet from doorways, and 12 feet thereafter. if there are any walls 18 inches or more an outlet is required.

February 12 2010
Profile picture for ThePoopingBandit
When I remodeled my basement, more was better.  I put an electrical outlet every 4 feet of wall span, and extras where I knew equipment load would be higher (at cable/network receptacles).  Mike's got the code answers, I put in what I did so I'd never need to run any more electric ever.

TPB

I have to agree with Mike.

Profile picture for kkelec
code requires outlets every 6' from openings & 12' therafter.
the idea is to be able to plug a lamp in any where in the room.

Michael Hart has the correct answer .
Also if you walk into the room and there is a section of wall between the entry door and, lets say a closet door, and if the wall is more than 2' long, you need a plug there also.

I have been doing a lot of foreclosure work here in Silicon valley, and have never had to add plugs to a home in order for it to "close" escrow.

But like Danni said, maybe some townships require it .

But from a builder standpoint, if you aren't remodeling it, you don't have to bring it up to today's codes. Just fix the safety issues, like smoke detectors and make sure the water heater is strapped .

It really depends on where and when the home was built and what the standards of building were at the time. Some townships are now requiring the addition of 2 outlets be installed in an existing one outlet room prior to closing on the home and getting a Use and Occupancy certification from the township or boro. :-)

Profile picture for foojoy
Thank you!!!!

Usually outlets are required to be within 6' of any wall corner or doorway, and within 12' of each other.  This allows for a 6' cord to reach an outlet from most all areas of the room.  A 10' wall would require 1 outlet near the center.  A 14' wall would require 2 outlets.