Is there a way to get my home listed on our local MLS without doing an expensive realtor listing?

• September 26 2013 - Ocotillo

Only realtors with an active membership with ARMLS would be allowed to list a home within their MLS service.. There are numerous "Flat Fee" listing companies that do business here in AZ, and the pricing ranges from $200 to $2000 depending on which services you choose to have.. Lockbox, for sale sign, sign riders, assistance with contract negotiation.. etc.. I'm a Mortgage Lender and I've been a real estate investor here in AZ for 27 years, and I recently jumped ship and listed one of my properties through a "Flat Fee" listing service.. 2 months later, I hired a full commission realtor to deal with it.. For me, it just wasn't worth the hassle to save a few dollars.. 

Feel free to reach out to me via my profile if you have any additional questions or concerns.  William J. Acres,[Self promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

• June 05

We have a limited listing agreement for sellers who just want to be added to the MLS for a flat fee. However, I strongly encourage you to hire a Realtor. Selling a home requires an in-depth and detailed understanding of the real estate market, finding the best qualified buyers, and many steps that bring about a successful sale. If the property is priced too high, it will develop a reputation of being a problem property. Before you decide to sell your own home, consider the work and liability involved versus hiring a professional!
  • June 04

Profile picture for Dunes ..
"According to the National Association of Realtor's 2012 the average FSBO sales price was $174,900, while the average price for a home represented by an agent was $215,000."

NO NO NO

The National Association of Realtors does not consider Sellers who use Flat Fee Service to just be listed on the MLS to be FSBO..
They consider them to be Agent-Assisted just as they consider or refer to those who use Full Service/pay a commission to be Agent-Assisted

What the National Association of Realtors said is the average FSBO sales price was $174,900, while the average price for an Agent-Assisted Seller was $215,000.
That $215,000 also applies to those Sellers who paid a Flat Fee to be listed on the MLS

If you read the survey the point they are making is getting listed on the MLS improves your chances of a sale

I would suggest that  all consumers take a look at the National Association of Realtors yearly surveys to see what they actually say/suggest instead of what Agents may say or suggest or wished they meant.........often a big difference between the two ;)
2013 NAR Profile of Home Buyers & Sellers

NAR 2014 Homebuyer and Seller Generational Trends
  • June 04

Profile picture for NoNameAtThisTime
Here's what I did. For over a YEAR I had my house listed with TWO of the "best" agents in my area....NOTHING, not one offer. Then this year I really needed to sell, and the only way I knew I could do it was to lower the price. Well, since I'm moving to a more expensive area, I did not have an extra 2% to spare. So I hired a 1% Broker and within 6 weeks I had TWO offers and a bidding war. Ended up getting $15,000 MORE than asking and got the Buyer's agent down to 2%. I paid 3% TOTAL, not 6%. ....Btw, my 1% broker was GREAT to work, he actually worked harder than the 3% agents ever did. (Pics were in the MLS super fast and my flyer box was NEVER empty, which is how one of the buyers found my house). And there were a LOT of negotiations that took place for over a week and he never complained or tried to pressure me once, (there was an issue over the buyer's wanting a super fast closing date that I couldn't accommodate ). Go with a 1%er is my opinion, you go the best of both worlds ! Great service and paying a reasonable commission fee. I move in 3 weeks....never thought I'd see the day ! :-)
  • June 04

As a homeowner you will obviously know your home better than anyone, but that doesn't mean you are the best salespersons for your home. Some sellers think they can sell their home easily while maximizing their profits by avoiding a commission to the Realtor. But what they need to keep in mind is that if the buyers are represented by an agent then the seller will still have to pay their share of commission. In addition, statistics show that selling your home with the help of a professional Realtor will bring you higher profit. According to the National Association of Realtor's 2012 the average FSBO sales price was $174,900, while the average price for a home represented by an agent was $215,000.

There are many benefits to why you should hire a professional Realtor. A Realtor has access to market data about recent sales and other homes on the market that can be used to price your home appropriately. He or she can market your home to give you more exposure and can show your home when you aren't available. Can respond to inquiries from potential buyers and agents. Your Realtor can help you negotiate a better price and term and will ensure that your contract is in compliance with local and state regulations. And keep in mind that if the buyer is represented by an agent, you will be negotiating with a professional and relying on your own skill to finalize a contract. There are many other reasons why you should hire a professional agent and keep in mind, you will usually get what you pay for. A good agent doesn't have to discount their commission, but you will be happy you selected him or her.

• June 04

Profile picture for blue screen exile
8 month old thread resurrected so that agents can "self promote"?  Not even sure the original poster would still pay attention.  I for one wouldn't want an agent that takes 8 months to answer a question, even if that agent only cost $5 for the listing of a $20 million home.

But in case anyone besides the original poster stops by to read the thread that might be interested in the topic now that it has been resurrected again...

A review of the major National FSBO websites, for flat fee MLS listing prices:

website6
month
   12
   month
   delux
12
   min
avg
   max
avg
buyself.com

$395$495
byowner.com$299

byownerMLS.com$299

fizber.com$295

forsalebyowner.com

$81$809
forsale-byowner.com
$299$695

FSBO.com$350

homesbyowner.com?

mls2u.com?

mls4owners.com$199$595$895

mlsmyhome.com$199$249

owners.com$395

real-estate-byowner.com$495

virtualFSBO.com

$299$399

--------------
Only owners.com has a partnership with Zillow to offer "featured status" on Zillow listings, unless your "partnering broker" that the FSBO website "middle man" arranges for you just happens to be a gold or platinum premier agent on Zillow.

(Numbers indicated are as shown on their websites on 4/21/14)
  • May 29

Most realtors will post your hoe for sale in MLS for a 1% fee for posting only. I strongly caution you to work w/ a real estate broker though for so many people do not truly realize a Purchase Agreement is a legal contract w/ so much verbiage and boxes to be checked/not checked, due diligence periods, contingencies, etc. The cost of not working w/ a realtor can truly end up costing a seller thousands more. And, the reality is an experienced, knowledgeable broker should end up obtaining the seller a higher sales price than if the seller did end up selling the home w/ out an agent (statistics show very few FSBO (For Sale by Owners) do close escrow and waste their time and money before partnering w/ a broker to sell/close escrow).
  • May 28

"Hiring a discounted lawyer, will get you just that, a discounted lawyer."

No. Although some good lawyers do cost more, many poor ones have similar hourly rates. Quality is not determined exclusively by price so it always makes sense to shop around and make sure that you get the best value for your money.
  • May 28

Lots of good advice and here, and some not so good.

Lynne Schlosser nailed it though. If you can out negotiate your agent for a lower commission, why would you want them to negotiate on your behalf for alot bigger sum of money?

Hiring a discounted lawyer, will get you just that, a discounted lawyer. There is probably a reason why they are discounting their price.

Your best bet is if you are set on selling it yourself, then sell it yourself. If you want an agent to do it, then hire an agent that you trust to get you the most money possible AND looks out for your best interest at all times.

Just keep in mind that old saying "Penny wise, dollar foolish"
  • May 28

The most direct answer is yes.

One of the more popular sites is www.forsalebyowner.com but I recommend clicking the link below and giving it a quick thought.

http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2011/08/09/forsalebyownercom-founder-uses-agent-sell-home

If you end up finding a buyer who is represented by a Realtor you will still pay them and not have the advantage of having someone who represents you. In this scenario you are only saving yourself about 3%.

As a Sellers agent I have sold many a home for at least 10k above what the owner originally thought it was worth or wanted to list it at. I have also saved sellers thousands of dollars by negotiating BINSR issues and appraisal problems. I have prevented them from inadvertently committing fraud or at the least misrepresentations.

If you look at the amount of work ANY professional does on a single specific job it doesn't look like it is worth the cost. This goes for plumbers,lawyers,mechanics,doctors,painters etc.

What you need to realize is you are paying for the experience as well as the ability to handle problems/complications if they arise as well as the legal recourse. Also, most people who attempt to do many of these services themselves once, soon realize they are simply not qualified and it isn't as easy as they thought.

One last thought, it is a lot harder to show a home without a Realtors Electronic Lockbox which only other Realtors can access. The lockbox logs the visit and keeps things honest and sellers safe. It also allows for showings when you are not home.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

I work with both buyers and seller and often view the flat fee services as great deals for my buyers.  The last home I sold to my buyers that was a flat fee listings was purchased for 11% below market value because the sellers didn't have an agent representing them and they did not price the home correctly.  The sellers thought they were saving money but in actuality they lost out on nearly $20,000 they would have netted.

Statistically it is best to have an experienced agent represent you.  

But . . . why do you need us? 

Profile picture for hpvanc
As Dunes said, you can google or start calling local real estate agents until you find one that will list your property on the MLS for a flat fee. You should also expect to have to pay the Selling Agents a.k.a. "buyer's" agent commission if the buyer comes from the MLS advertising.

As to the Realtors® asserting that only Realtor® can get you top dollar, here are a couple of academic studies that contradict that claim:

Northwestern University: "The Relative Performance of Real Estate Marketing Platforms: MLS versus FSBOMadison.com"

Stanford University: "How Much Value do Real Estate Brokers Add?"

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Option
You can use a Flat-Fee Service/Realtor..simple as that
(approx.$200-$500 depending on package you use)

DOJ Anti-Trust web site..

"In many parts of the country, the traditional full-service real estate broker now faces competition from a variety of real estate brokerage models, many of which use the Internet to reduce costs:"

"Fee-for-Service Arrangements"

"Brokers willing to sell a subset of real estate brokerage services, often called fee-for-service brokers, have emerged throughout the country. Fee-for-service brokers "unbundle" the package of real estate services typically offered by traditional full-service real estate brokers and charge a set or hourly fee for specific services, such as listing the house in the MLS, negotiating or closing contracts, and pricing the home. "

Competing models of real estate brokerage

What are the laws in your state?

If you decide to post on your local MLS via the Flat Fee route...

There are usually local Agents/Agencies that provide Flat Fee packages so I would suggest you look at local ads, shop around, call around & use a Local Realtor/Agency
Keep the money in the local economy, have a face to talk to, better communication..

Good Luck whichever option you decide to go with

All commissions, by law, are negotiable. If you have a house that will be easy to sell, most good real estate brokers will do it for a reduced fee. If it's an overpriced dog, then they will have to work harder to sell it.

You need to list on the MLS if you want to get top dollar on your home.. Give me a call and we'll talk and see what our team can do for you. And btw you pay nothing upfront for a listing.  If your home doesn't sell for what you want, there is no loss and no cost.

There are ways to get your property in the MLS for less than a full Realtor's commission, but you will want to realize how much selling your home on your own can actually cost you in the long run. A quick Google search can give you resources for listing only. First, take a look at this article from the Wall Street Journal about how much inexperience can cost you:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324123004579057500395585922.html?mod=WSJ_RealEstate_MansionWeekly

Best of luck with your home sale no matter how you decide to sell!

There are a lot of agents and not everyone is a Realtor. You can absolutely negotiate the commission. I have a question for you, you want top dollar for your home right? You want a top negotiator right? Well if you just out negotiated me to lower my commission, how do you feel about my negotiating skills now? No, I don't lower my commission nor should you want me to!

Yes, it's possible to not do an "expensive" realtor listing but you do get what you pay for.  

If the listing agent doesn't answer his/her phone, relies on you to do showings which can be inconvenient and weird for buyers, doesn't review contracts and then you mess up the sale by not having terms in your best interest, what good is it too save a few percent.

Don't get me wrong, you can pull it off but it's a careful balance and can be very costly to you if not done correctly.

Actually YES you can.  If you google the different for sale by owners, there are kits that you can purchase which allow you to market your home yourself.  you will most likely pay HALF of the commission, as the agent showing the property will be expecting a commission (otherwise they will not show your house...)  Good Luck!!

Yes. I have agents that will do reduced fees when they are referred from me. [Spam content removed by Zillow moderator due to violation of Good
Neighbor
Policy.]

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Nope, Realtors own the MLS systems and so you need them to input it there. It works, that's why you want to be there.