Is there any help in refinancing primary mortgage with investment property that is foreclosing?

I have had great credit until 1 1/2 years ago when I took a lower paying job and my wife had to quit hers because of being disabled.  I had to stop paying on an investment property that we had and currently is in foreclosure or short sell, whichever comes first.
  My primary mortgage is through Wells Fargo and I called them 2 weeks ago trying to reduce my current interest rate from 6.375 to something manageable with today's rates.  They basically told me there is nothing they can do because of that mark on my credit from the investment property. They said I didn't qualify for HARP or any other programs.   Does anybody know if there is any way that I can reduce my interest rate on my primary mortgage?  No other credit issues or problems. 

November 18 2012 - Pensacola

Profile picture for DanceDoctor
That is really good advice, thanks.  But I don't think we could get a new loan right now to switch companies - our credit isn't great right now.  But we will try the supervisor route.  I'll be back.

Great question...often times it takes a long time and a lot of patience on your part. You could always let them know that you are looking to switch mortgage companies if you are unable to get straight answers.(And really look into it.)  Or you can call and ask for the supervisor. When you get that supervisor, ask for their supervisor etc...when you get as high up as they'll let you get, talk to that person and kindly but firmly request answers.  Hope this helps...

Profile picture for DanceDoctor
We have been trying to modifiy our loan with Wells Fargo for over 6 months, but they keep telling us that we need to give them more and more documents.  I feel like they are not being straight with us.  Is there anything we can do to make them give us more attention?

You may be able to take the steps with your primary mortgage and ask for a modification of mortgage. Sometimes they grant lower interest rates for those who are unable to pay the current monthly mortgage. Contact them to see what they can do for you. It may be a long tedious paper trail of events, but that is the only way I can see it working for you. Of course, I don't claim to be an expert in the mortgage world since I am an agent, so definately contact your loan officer associated with your mortgage. I hope that helps!

My credit scores are in the 670's currently.  I have 23 years left on a 30 year fixed mortgage