Profile picture for puddy55

Is there any way to contest a Zestimate for the rental value of my place? Is there any contact info

The Zestimate for my place dropped $400/month for the rental estimate this month.  Is there any way to contest or contact anyone for an explanation?
  • April 21 2011 - Ravenswood Manor
  • 0

Profile picture for puddy55
Thank you all for your answers.  While I am not looking to reverse engineer the algorithm, a $400 drop in the monthly rental estimate make it look like there was some damage to the place or a foreclosure in the building, neither of which are the case.  How much does a place have to decrease in overall value to have its rental valuation pulled down by $5000 per year?!?  

If I used postlets to post my place on zillow, how do I pull this posting?  I would rather not have the place listed on zillow at all than to have such a valuation on my place.  thank you again for your assistance.

I really wish they would publish their "zestimate" algorithm but if they did that, every other site would copy-cat the algorithm.

For a closely related and more public algorithm, you can research how tax assessors valuate properties for tax purposes. Often this involves a regression analysis based on previous sales.

Where is a zillow tekkie

Profile picture for Matt Laricy
No you cant do anything about it. I know it stinks that some of these are way off, but its a rough estimates. A lot of people on here know that zestimates are way off.

Profile picture for Julann Carney
If your home is currently listed for sale you should be able to add a comment to the "zestimate". I find that not only are the "zestimate" values off for real market value but also with the pre-assigned rental value. This site basically utilizes public records such as tax valuation to come up with "zestimates".
Best of luck!