Profile picture for 3heather

Is there certain standards that a home has to be in when getting an FHA loan

I have already bought a home with an FHA loan.I did not have enough money to come in with the down payment, appraisal ,and a home inspection,so I oped not to get the home inspection due to the lack of funds.I have been here a week and I now seem to think that I have major problems with my kitchen.My house smells like mold and there was a pipe underneath the sink that has been leaking.The wall behind everything is soggy and has lots of mold.do I have any recourse in having this problem fixed?I'm unable to even eat or make dinner for my children because of the smell. Now I'm feeling that I'm going to have to go out and get a home inspection to find out the real damage in this house and a mold inspection done.Please give me any advice.I feel that I was taken advantage of.I'm not blaming my stupidity on anyone but myself but I would like to know if there is anything I can do.
  • November 07 2010 - Modesto
  • 0

An appraisal is NOT a home inspection, they are not engineers, it is a valuation of the property and FHA requires that it be safe, secure and saleable.  The appraiser looks only at "readily observable" items.  They do not move things, test anything other than trying light switches, flush toilets, run water.  

ALWAYS get a home inspection.  Your attorney should have told you
that as well as your agent, you did have a buyer agent working on your behalf, didn't you? 

Did you do a final walk through within 24 hours before closing?  You didn't
notice a smell then?  Sorry, but after closing, the house is yours.  You should have had an inspection!

Profile picture for Mills Realty
It sounds like you have a legal disclosure issue.  If it is as bad as it sounds then it doesn't seem possible that the former owner didn't know about it.  Check your disclosure documents and see if the issues you are having were disclosed to you.  Have you spoken to your agent? 

The FHA appraisal is the key.  You may want to check if anything was called out. You may want to visit U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on line.

Yes, FHA requires certain items to meet their standards.  These would have been inspected in the FHA appraisal.  Once you have closed, there is no standard that can help you.

As others have said, see if the defective items were disclosed, but if you didn't have funds for an inspection, you probably not have funds for an attorney to get them repaired by the seller. 

Most Realtors always suggest as a minimum a Roof, Pest and General Home Inspection Report.  It is so important to know more about the home than the folks that lived there before you. With the results, you might have changed your mind on the purchase or asked for money back for the repairs before the close of escrow. 

Did you happen to purchase a home warranty?  This might help.

Best regards,

Rocky

Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty

[contact info removed by moderator]

Sorry to hear about this Heather. Unfortunately there's likely a form you signed that FHA requires the lender to provide that specifically recommends (but does not require) a home inspection.

As you mentioned, you're past that now.  I'd dig out your purchase contract - there should be a seller disclosure statement. See if there was any mention of mold or leaks.

Ultimately you'll probably need to consult an attorney but it might help if the documentation was on your side - like if the seller checked "no mold" and there is.

FHA has its own guidelines regarding the condition of a property. The appraisal should call out all possible health and safety issues that do not fit the FHA guidelines. Regarding issues of mold and disclosure of mold, seek legal expertise in the area.

Profile picture for jjlen
You should speak with an attorney. There are disclosure laws that sellers and their agents need to abide by -- if a seller knew of a problem and didn't tell you, that's a problem. But proving the seller knew of a problem is tricky. And you need to read your documents carefully to make sure the seller did not disclose it. So: speak with an attorney. And yes, next time, get a home inspection. I know it is hard to save up money -- but a home purchase is the biggest purchase of your life, and it makes no sense to scrimp on something as vital as a home inspection.