Is there residential title insurance available in Cancun Mexico?

We are looking at property and they are claiming title is not needed because its approved by the Municipality and the Notary (judge).  Anyone have any insight?
  • November 21 2011 - Mexico
  • 0

You to Glenn. Thanks.

Sorry I couldn't find that information for you. My only other suggestion besides Google is contacting some Title Reps in your area that represent large firms and ask them to check on this for you, such as: Chicago Title and First American.

Happy funding, Rudi

Rudy, I appreciate you trying, thanks and have a great Holiday!!

Glenn,

I had no luck finding my info on Stewart Title for your situation. Good luck.

Happy funding, Rudi

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Fidelity Title also works in Mexico and south America.  If you'd like a referral you can contact me through my profile.
Yes a standard transaction will use an attorney who researches the condition of the title, but if you read the fine print the guarantee is nothing like an insurance policy. It essentially says "I've done as much research as I think is reasonable and if I'm wrong I don't take any responsibility for it".
Just as in any aspect of this profession, unless you contact the right people in the title insurance company you will get an answer that says "contact an attorney" or "we only do commercial."  You specifically need the unit in the company that works across boarders whether it is Canada,England, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama or Peru.
Otherwise you need to find the attorney who has been used successfully by a number of US buyers.  The title rep should be able to give you some referrals for attorneys.

Here's a link to a paper, which covers the subject nicely. It says what Norm D Plume said, basically.

I really am not sure about that but you might want to contact an attorney over there.

Julie Weber
Prudential Select Properties

I'n not an expert on Mexico, barely a novice if anything. Out of interest I'd read some articles on buying property in Mexico and one thing that stands out is that non-Mexicans (I don't know if you're Mexican or not) can't own property within 100 miles of the coast, that they have to purchase them through a Mexican holding company or something like that; sort of like a land lease. 

Glenn,

I used them for a B&B/coffee plantation in Costa Rica. Although, that's been several years ago. I'll see if I still have info. It will take a little time. The Stewart Title Latin American office I used was located in El Paso, TX.

Happy funding, Rudi

Rudy, they are more into pure developmental work, not individual lots.  Thanks

Thats an interesting question I wish I could help you with that, you might
check with the an attorney in that area.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Julie Weber
Prudential Select

Glenn,

Contact Stewart Title International. http://stewart.com/international-services/stewart-international

Happy funding, Rudi