Profile picture for soleil ma cher

Is this Real Estate Agent acting unprofessional?

We hired a real estate through the reference of family, and found a house. Ever since we started working with her, she has been almost impossible to get in contact with, and takes hours for a response in return. When we started making offers, and counter offers to the house, she would never call, only text, and on the last counter offer that she made, She didn't put an expiration date on the offer, but told them to respond ASAP. I feel as if she has now put us into a situation to where the owner's of the house will wait to respond until they receive a better offer. We have a huge dead line, and are trying to buy as soon as possible. But It seems as if our realtor is being unprofessional at this point. Does this seem the same to you, or is this just how most realtor's work?
  • February 16 - Macon

Best Answer

Communication is a two way street.  Spend some time discussing your expectations.   There are a lot of people who prefer texting to calling - if that doesn't work for you, make it clear.    If she didn't put a date on a counter offer and you wanted a date, you should insert a date before signing it.  

"Takes hours to respond" - how quickly do you expect her to respond?

I don't see anything unprofessional in the description you provided, however, I do see that she isn't meeting your expectations and you need to speak up.   

This does not mean you have to stick with this agent, but when you move forward make sure you discuss expectations up front as well as during the process.
  • February 16

One of the things I try to discuss with my clients is how they would like to be contacted. Text is convenient for some, not for others. Some love phone calls...others don't have the time for them.

A prompt response is not unreasonable, but again, it is something that should have been discussed at your first meeting. This way there are no misunderstandings or wrong impressions.

To be fair to all parties, and since I really don't know all the circumstances I think a good long conversation is in order and your expectations outlined. Hopefully a heart-to-heart is all that will be required !
  • February 16

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
I agree with Dogs. I much perfer texting and it gives a Realtor something in writing, like an email. A phone call is ok if you prefer that, there is no reason you can't call her. If you are in a hurry to make offers you call or text until you get through. Many Realtors are not slaves to cell phones and so after some time in the evening the calls might not even be noticed until tomorrow. You either must deal with it or find another Realtor that works better for you at being found. As far as the expiration dates, those work poorly at best and I avoid them. Sometimes when my seller gets a low offer and it has a 2 day expiration my seller says, just let it expire if they want to add those. So no reply goes back quickly, I would not try and pressure a seller with expiration dates.
  • February 16

You probably need a new agent. Agents who are friends of the family sometimes take those clients for granted, but any agent who is slow to respond is probably not the right agent in this market. I would put her on notice that you are not happy with her services, give her the option to change or agree to part ways now.
  • February 16