Is this a good time to become a real estate agent.

• October 07 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Christina:
I always encourage anyone who has a passion to no longer want to live by the time clock to consider real estate-

I just had to comment on that.  I agree working for yourself you can set your own schedule.  What new agents don't consider is that the buyers have a schedule.  Often times it conflicts when you want to be "clocked out".

Competition for sales is stiff.  Depending on your market, If you want to make a decent living you will put in days much longer than an 8 hour shift or work weekends.

Anytime is a great time to get into the real estate business! As long as you are able to dedicate much of your time, energy and sacrifice time with you family!  Real estate is like any other business; you need to put in the hours and invest in yourself. It is definitely not a get rich quick business.  To succeed, you need to do the best job possible for your clients. Always keep your clients interest first and you will be rewarded with referrals which make the business extremely rewarding.  If you have been successful in real estate for the past five years or so...the next ten years should be much easier.  Real estate can test your skills, patience and can be extremely difficult at times!  Not only are you dealing with client's valuable property and investments, but you also get involved with their personal gains & sometimes their losses! If you like a challenge and are very persistant...it can be a great career. 

Jack Dudenhoeffer, Broker

It takes time to build a business and a reputation.  Many agents are part time now and either have another way to supplement their income or have someone to help out financially.
My broker said "In real estate, 1/3 are coming in--1/3 are staying and 1/3 are leaving." 
It's a wonderful way to help people and ever changing with challenges which makes it very interesting. 
People look at the big commissions and think it will be an easy way to make a good living.  It is not.

The answer to this will depend upon your objectives, expectations and abilities.

For those with the dedication, ability and, most importantly, the time to build their business (... it almost always takes more time than you think to build...) it can be a personally and professionally rewarding career.

That said, enter with your eyes wide open.  It is a competitive market and requires tremendous dedication.

Profile picture for Shane Torres
I think any time is good time to get into Real Estate, but that being said you have to be very self driven and task oriented to make it, find something to focus on. As someone who got it in the last 5 years when things were at their worst this is how I succeeded. 

Profile picture for Jason Muse
Not sure about where you live, but I love Real Estate and would recommend it to anyone.  If you are looking for a great career where you have unlimited income potential, then jump on in.  

Please be mindful about your career choice.  Real Estate is not a get rich quick business.  It takes time, effort, and start up costs.  Getting your license is just the beginning.  Figuring out your career plan and how you will achieve it is an important process that must not be overlooked.  Interview several Brokers and see who will provide the best support for your path.  Best of Luck

Profile picture for Amy Smits
I think it is still a great time to get into real estate. I do agree with the Sisters, that leads don't fall from the sky anymore. Nor do they walk in your front door. I would encourage you to find a team looking for a buyer agent or showing specialist. You get to learn one aspect of the business, hopefully have leads provided by your team leader and get comfortable working on your own. 

One caveat. You need to work for yourself like you would have worked for someone punching a clock. In other words, yes you can set your own schedule, no you can't only work 20 hours and make a living.

I always encourage anyone who has a passion to no longer want to live by the time clock to consider real estate- It is hard at first, and you will not have a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks- like some other job would offer. Most people see the glamorous side of the business and instantly they want to become a Realtor.

Everyone has their own reason why they became a Realtor and for me I needed the flexible hours and quite frankly I could no longer see myself punching a time clock for the next 15 years and asking  permission as to when I could take my vacations from my  employer. 

It  has been rewarding to me as a profession, I love the part of being with my clients and seeing the big smile as they receive the keys to their first house- this is the best part of my job!

If you have some reserves put aside for the lean months and you are willing to put in the work with  long hours, and you will need to understand that word NO just means Next -you may go far in this business.

Best wishes to you!

Newer agent here.  It's a lot of work but it's doable.  Pay specific attention to the advice from the Sisters re: months w/out a paycheck.

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
If you asked that 5 years ago I'd say yes.  Today I'd say no.

If you can wait several months without a pay check that's a reality you have to consider.  You will also need money for start up costs. Dues, cards, school, advertising, mailings, gas  etc.

5 years ago the phones rang with anxious buyers looking at homes.  Today they are all on the internet looking at homes.  You have to be able to attract them so they want to call you. That costs money.  Just ask any Premier Agent out here.

The phones don't ring in the office any more so you can't pick up leads free.