Profile picture for ShawnicyBarnhart

Is this a scam?

I was interested in a rental home listed on zillow and after emailing I found it listed in other places for $1000 more then their list price.  Then I go this email back tonight about it.  I think it might be a scam (though I wish it wasn't).  Please give me your opinion!!

Thanks for being interested in renting my House,which is located at (removed), in a quite and safe area. My plan before was to sell the house but my wife suggested we put it on rent and we only need someone that can take absolute care of the house in our absence because right now we are not in state we just secured a contract in London of which we will not be back until after 2years. We initially handed the house to an agent, but it was quite expensive dealing with the agent so we requested for our keys and the house documents back. we have decided to handle it ourselves as this will give us the opportunity to know whom we are renting our house to. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the  absolute care for the property,am here with the house keys and document. If you know that you have a
good reference and a good credential you can email me back to secure and occupy my house at my absent.

Hope you are Okay with the rent fee of $1500 per month, get back to me asap because i need a tenant urgently and i can also forward the application form to you, if you are interested. Have a nice day also if you will like to call me here is my number in UK(+removed).

Best Regard  

August 22 2011 - Gilroy

Yes, everything you describe suggests it is a scam.

Yes, this has many red flags of a scam. More information here:

http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/Beware-of-Scams-and-Other-Internet-Fraud/

Please flag the listing on Zillow by clicking "Edit-->Report a problem" on the Zillow listing page. Thanks for raising it and for being on the lookout.

-dave

This looks like a scam to me. Contact a Realtor (like me) and I can tell you who really owns the property. Then you will know if your are dealing with the right person. I would never do this kind of business via mail, email. You need to meet with the person renting the property, at the property and always verify the true ownership.

It is a scam.  An easy way to find out is by "copying" the message and "pasting" it into the search box.  You will notice that there are many version of that message through the internet on various websites.  Scam artist are always trying to rush you into situations because of one reason or another. 

Scam.  They often steal the advertisement of the legit post and drastically pprice it low. I

Run, don't walk to the nearest exit................next, he will ask you to wire him money via Western Union...........and he will wax poetic about how he knows you will be the perfect tenant, and take loving care of his home - I had one scammer get all religious and tell the tenant he knew "God" had sent her to him...........oh, did I say to run, not walk, to the nearest exit??

:)

In many countries there are people pretending to be landlords and take your deposit and run. It is prudent if you are suspicious the people who claim they are landlord asking them to show your their deed etc. If you show their driver license , id etc. there is no reason not to reciprocate.

Yes, it is a scam.  I have a client that I am working with now who before finding me received a similar email. She moved forward with the process, paid up front fees and upon move in found out that the vacant home was owned by a couple in Colorado.  She lost over $1,000.  Like the agent above suggested, contact a real estate agent who can do the proper research on the property and find you a rental home with no issues.  Good luck!

Is this a scam?
Profile picture for Ashley Rubio
Latest reply by Ashley Rubio

1. 18175 Carriage Dr, Morgan Hill, CA Home For Sale
    18175 Carriage Dr, Morgan Hill, CA 95037

2. 17384 Walnut Grove Dr, Morgan Hill, CA Home For Sale
    17384 Walnut Grove Dr, Morgan Hill, CA 95037

3. 1752 Shore Rd, Hollister, CA Home For Sale
    1752 Shore Rd, Hollister, CA 95023