Profile picture for saii

Is this the right time to buy a home in San Diego CA? And I like the homes in 4s ranch area

I like the homes in 4s ranch area. But rate is bit high for SFR. What is your better suggestions buying a house in Carmel Mountain Ranch here we don't need to pay mellross.

S
  • October 17 2011 - Rancho Bernardo

Best Answer

The higher property tax rates in 4S ranch can be intimidating. They do go to fund the parks and schools and infrastructure in the 4S ranch community. Unfortunately, they are not tax deductible. What tends to be the case is that these sometimes put downward pressure on the pricing, especially in today's markets. For example, the same house without the mello roos would be priced slightly higher so it ends up being a wash. I would recommend making a list of the factors in 4S Ranch that are attractive or important to you and see if they are worth the additional costs. In addition, a good comparison with homes nearby can also shed some light. I have sold homes in 4S Ranch and feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss these issue further or if you just have additional questions.
Thanks...  Jason [contact information deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

The neighborhoods where you don't have Mello Roos and HOA are not new and there is no insulation from devaluation as a result of the neighborhood "going to pot".  I'm not saying you need Mello Roos and HOA fees to have a lovely neighborhood.  I'm saying they exist to provide new everything, protect the value of everything, and enhance the future value of everything.  That said, it is entirely your decision as to whether you prefer to live in a newer community with all that goes along with it (including the fees to sustain it) or an older established community without the fees.  I have as many buyers buy into 4S, Del Sur, Santaluz, Fairbanks, etc. as I do into Olivenhain, Rancho Santa Fe Covenant, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, Poway,Carmel Valley, etc.  After 35+ years in the business my pearl of wisdom for buyers is this, "Buy where you love to drive home to"!  You won't go wrong.  And if you think of buying in order to flip or sell for a profit do not do so without the counsel/advice of a veteran real estate agent..

Hello Saii,

I would say stay away from any communities with HOA and/or Mello Roos, unless the HOA is a small amount such as $90. This pays for the grounds and community sign, no big deal. But having a single family home and paying the extra $300-$500 a month is really not worh it. There are plenty of really nice homes in Carmel Valley, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Santa Fe, and Del Mar without any HOA/MelloRoos. I think right now is the BEST time I have every seen to buy a home in my Real Estate Career. Watch the market and study a neighborhood you like is my best advice, then be ready with financing when you see the house that is priced great! Contact me for more info on homes, I specialize in those areas of North County. Visit these sites to search homes at:
[Multiple hotlinks removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for guidelines for posting in Advice.]

Good luck to you!
Taila Gillespie
Realtor, Coldwell Banker Del Mar

The HOA fees and part of the mello roos are not typically income tax deductable if it is owner occupied.... Base property taxes are deductable..

Profile picture for saii
Hi Jackson,

You mean the property tax is not detectable in tax. Or the Melrose is not detectable. I know Melrose is not detectable anyway.

Hi S,
I do love the 4S Ranch area, but with all the new infrastructure comes additional Mello Roos. Carmel Ranch is a nice area too, older homes though. I love, love, love Scripps Ranch too- lived there for several years. Contact me directly and I can show you some beautiful homes!

Sinead McAllister

Hi Saii - 

It is a great time to buy, especially if you are planning to live in your home for awhile.  As the others have mentioned, prices are incredible, especially in the 4S area - many homes have dropped $100K over the last couple of years.  Interest rates are at historical lows...

The mello roos are expensive, but the community is worth it for many who live there.  If you can afford it and utilize the amenities, then 4S is the area for you!

All the best to you,
Jessica Foote
Prudential California Realty 
Rancho Bernardo 

Saii,

In general it is a great time to buy - interest rates are very low and prices have remained depressed.   It is hard to say if it is a good time for you to buy without knowing your financial profile.   You may want to consider areas in Rancho Bernardo if you are trying to avoid mello roos taxes and stay within the Poway Unified School District.   The home built after 1990 are more likely to have mello roos taxes or higher HOA fees.  If you do not have a buyer's agent to assist you, I recommend you find one to refine your search.

Kind Regards,
Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
Rancho Bernardo
[contact information deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Hello S~

There are such great values in both areas. I think it is best to determine which neighborhood you prefer, as far as location, price, distance to schools, parks or shopping or whatever is important to your family. There are some amazing deals in 4 S Ranch that more than make up for difference in Mello Roos. It is great not to have Mello roos, but the sales price may be higher. Let me kno if you need any help or have further questions!