Profile picture for Barbarellie829

Isn't Pergo almost as good as real hardwood?

We are currently remodeling, and have decided to tear up the existing hardwood (it was only in the front hall anyway-most of the house had carpet) and put down pergo. I personally like the laminate better than the hardwood, it's easier to care for. What are your thoughts (as it pertains to resale)? This is a high-middle range home.

On a side note, we put CHEAP laminate in the last house we remodeled (last year)- it was $1.76 a sq. foot at Lowes, and the buyer's inspector gave us "credit" for restoring the original hardwood floors- the house was built in 1887!

• January 15 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for dunmoved

NO PERGO - please I beg you!!!  I don't care how high end it is, it's NOT hardwood, it will never BE hardwood.  I personally don't think it does a thing for resale, I'd rather see  new carpet than new Pergo in a home for sale because I know the carpet can easily be changed if I don't like it.

Just my 2 cents...

I'd rather see carpet than Pergo; sorry personal preference.

Profile picture for Coconutcream

Don't put in Pergo or anything laminate. Yuck.

Profile picture for ZVending

Pergo is so much easier to care for, even over hardwood. But for resale, hardwood is more desirable. But if you're not selling, who cares? :) Carpets are nasty filth magnets IMO. I am so glad to only have one carpet left in my house right now. I get a call for a showing, it's so much faster to swiffer the floors than to be vaccuuming several times, especially with pets. I will never live with carpets again.

Profile picture for gvw3
  • gvw3

Pergo is fine. Its not as good as hardwood but it sure is better than carpet.

Profile picture for lonewolf6108

I've heard of high quality pergo used for dance floors.  If it will stand up to that, I would think it would be good enough for your house!

P.S.

I will be facing this decision in a year or so, after paying off all of this years exterior improvements.

Profile picture for ArchMedia

to think you got a "credit" for restoring the flooring of an 1887 home using cheap laminate just goes to show that the inspectors are a MAJOR reason for the fake bloating of house values over the last few years. It's crap inspectors like this that caused alot more headaches then the market needed...

with that said, pargo is pargo, it's not hardwood. yes, it CAN be used as a substitute. Should it? that depends. The key part of the question was the "high-middle range" which to me says it should be genuine hard wood, not a substitute. Don't do the bare minimum, do the right thing, cause when you finally get a REAL inspector who looks for REAL products to give REAL credits, then you'll actually deserve it.

I'm not trying to demean you, it's REALLY not your fault. It's the inspectors who allow people to use lower quality products and still credit people like if it were a top notch product....

Profile picture for Barbarellie829

ouch. Well, I realize that it's not actually "hardwood", but I think it's MUCH nicer than carpet or (godforbid) linoleum... and since this house had carpet to begin with, I think this will be an upgrade.  Also, in this market, laminate woods are a lot more common than actual hardwoods, so I don't it'll be a drawback as opposed to the comps in the neighborhood.

ArchMedia- As for the inspector who gave us "credit", yes he was a bit of an idiot. It didn't inflate our house price though, because we never pretended that it was anything other than it was, and the price reflected it. The only thing that happened was we were told by him that we could've gotten more $$, and of course we got a laugh.

Profile picture for Jenta

I think there can be a bit of a "snobbish" attitude about remodeling a house.  There are many things to consider when doing "upgrades."  Do you have a high end house?  Do you have indoor pets?  Kids?  Heavy traffic areas?  What can you afford?

I see this all the time, this push for "only the best" in neighborhoods that are just lower middle class,  (in which I live!)  I would love to have had granite countertops, but I settled for a beautiful new textured product that looks like granite.  Everyone admires it.  I would have love to have had hardwood floors.  I just couldn't afford it, plus I have two large dogs who would have scarred the hardwood with their toenails.  I settled for a beautiful laminate that mimics hardwood.  Once again, everyone loves it.  I then put patterned area carpets in living and bedroom areas. 

You have to face reality.  Everyone can't AFFORD only the best!  And for someone buying a house like mine, what I did works fine and does raise the value of the house.  I'm a baby boomer, I live in a post war neighborhood of smaller houses, and starter homes.  This whole nation needs a big reality check.  You CAN outspend what your house is worth, and lose money in the end.

Profile picture for lonewolf6108

To Jenta-

How is the laminate holding up to the dog toenails? I have a 100 lb. chocolate lab and this is a big factor in what i choose to replace my floors with next year.

Pergo??  NO WAY!!  It is truly a major yuk-inducer to buyers when we encounter it on tours.  It doesn't look like wood, and it doesn't sound like wood when you walk on it.  It's a serious turn-off.  I'd rather see carpet or tile, if hardwood is not an option.

Profile picture for Jenta

To Lonewolf,

It's virtually indestructable. 

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

Lonewolf  and jenta are both right.  In my home pergo doesnt fit the scale of the buyer that I would attract but in many homes it does.  I have alot of relatives in cleveland ohio that live in older homes that pergo is a great fit.  

Carol..   one of the biggest rules you should know this....  is dont make improvements to your home that exceed the level of  the buyers you would attract. 

being in florida   I looked at wood / laminate /  tile/  and stone.  when doing the  flooring of my home.  I love the warmth of wood  but with a 105 lb dog   and a 2 year old everyone told me

"OMG it will be ruined" laminate/ pergo will hold up better to dog nails , bigwheels, and things being dropped on the floor.   I decided laminate wasnt for me  so I went back to Travertine.   Do you put carpet in a 4m dollar home ? no ....  do you put high polished  marble in a 30k inner city home.  nope.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

be realistic people ... and turn off HGTV !

Profile picture for Jenta

Scott,

I really appreciate your reply.  There are million plus dollar homes all across this nation that can't be sold.  Middle class homes that have lost their values.  Foreclosures left and right.  In Michigan, the median home value is is now $39,000?  That's just sad!  (I'm in Ohio)

This year I put over $40,000 in upgrades to my lower middle class home, simply because I had retired, and I knew this was the last opportunity I would have.  My home had become run down, and needed a facelift.  I know I'll never get that back, but at least I'll live out my years enjoying what I have.  It's not the best, but it looks nice and I'm happy with it.  I actually considered travertine, but it just seemed too cold, and didn't suit my small ranch house.  I did laminate throughout, it has a sound cancelling liner as well that really helps.  And it wooks maaaavelous.

But I don't think we should turn off HGTV.  :)

I get lots of decorating ideas there!  I learn what works and what doesnt.  I learn how to do things I didn't know how to do before.  And I have also learned, just as you said, that you don't put imported silk on a pig. But you can dress him up, and take him out.  Those glass basins in bathrooms look beautiful as well, but in 5 or 6 years people will be looking down their nose at them as well, as passe.  But it's fun to watch other people get all the latest toys.  :)

Profile picture for goingeast

hello, 

my house just closed escrow 8 days ago, we sold for just under 700,000.00. we had laminate flooring in our hallway conecting these rooms,18" travertine with inlade marble mosaics in our dinning room, 18" heated porcilin floor tile in the kitchen, marble in hall bathroom, oak in bed 1, carpet in bed 2 and master bedroom..The point is that if you have the right type or look of laminate to fit the situation it woors great and much easyer to maintain then hardwood. there are alot more types of laminate floor coverings then pergo that very close to real hardwood. our home had cherry stair nosing with the laminate right next to it and you couldnt tell the difference. i am a contractor in cal and have insalled 1000s of ft of both hardwood and laminate and they both have there positive and negitive points. ps.. yes i know are house was over valued but thats why i bought it was to make money, 8 months earlyer and i could have gotten close to 800. :)

Profile picture for pollengirl

We have a Pergo floor in the great room of our house - never would have chosen it, and doesn't look as nice as the hardwood portion, BUT it is absolutely indestructible, not a scratch after 4 years with 2 dogs - appliance installers literally slid the stove and fridge across the floor and it did not leave a mark.  There are some newer patterns that look better than ours, but for ease of care and durability it is amazing.  And, I would have to vacuum twice a day with 2 Golden retrievers and a carpet to keep it even sort of clean - laminate or wood is a must for us.

Profile picture for Bloomfielder

To everyone who has had a good experience with laminate flooring:  Congratulations; you've been lucky.

To all who are considering installing laminate flooring:  Think about this - Would you want this material for a countertop?  Those things which damage a laminate countertop will also damage a laminate floor.  Moreover, it's a floor; it will suffer more abuse than most countertops.

To ArchMedia:  Are you criticising Home Inspectors or Appraisers?  Home Inspectors merely evaluate the condition of a house.  Appraisers evaluate what a house is worth.  A large contributing factor to the national foreclosure crisis was inflated appraisals.  Home Inspections had no role in creating that mess.

Finally, to Jenta:  Please check your sources.  The median price of a house in Michigan IS NOT $39,000.  According to the National Association of Realtors, in the 3rd quarter of 2007 the median house price in metro Detroit was $142.9k, down $21k from the high in 2005; the median price in Grand Rapids was $128.6k, down $9k from the high in 2005.  Median house prices other areas of Michigan are decreased but NOT to $39k.

Profile picture for daphnesmom

Hmmmm.  So I guess the Pergo flooring in our house is why it hasn't sold.  Ah well, such is life.   We have pergo in our combo fam/living room and the hallway leading off the kitchen to the bedrooms.  Tile flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms and laundry room.  The only place we have carpet is the bedrooms.  

Carpet, in my opinion, is a dust and allergy collecting pain in the ***.  We have pets, two medium sized dogs with toenails and the pergo wears like iron.  Between the dogs and the cats, I am so happy to be able to really clean the floors of their fur and stinky dog smells.  It has helped our seasonal allergies tremendously. 

My friends, who had beautiful hardwood floors installed in their house and also their Lake Tahoe house have two big dogs.   The floors are trashed....really deep gouges almost everywhere you look.   Sure, you can resurface them, but that sounds like a lot of work.  

So that's my experience with pergo....at least I have something to blame for not being able to sell.  : )  

Profile picture for diezydog

i have hardwood in my house and put pergo flooring in my mother in law appt that is seperate from house and yes i have dogs both have held up well to the dogs. the pergo is easier to clean by far the harwood floor takes more work to clean and had to have them buffed.  it all comes down to a personal preference.

Profile picture for zalgiris

Jenta,

You are a very practical person; we need more people like you.  After having the luxury homes, fighting (and so far winning) cancer, and educating three great daughters--practical is in with me especially as I am closing in on 58.  The laminates are great since we have two young labs, in fact, I am kind of surprised how well they hold up. 

As for adding value to the home, spare me, I look at a house as a home not as an investment.  Maybe one should mention that some of those show palaces will be left unsold for sometime to come due to the housing situation affecting most cities except for some metro areas like Charlotte, NC where we are located.  I really hope we follow a more practical course of home ownership in this country, the golden goose does not live forever---enjoy life !!!

For the LOVE OF GOD PLEASE!  No more Pergo and laminate flooring!  It's just so chintsy and cheap.  It also sounds like walking on a mixture of cardboard and cork.  I'm drowning in tackiness...help me....glug, gurgle, glug.

Profile picture for . . .

So is it better to walk on vinal than cork?

Or better to walk on acrylic?

High-end hotel and retail stores use a variety of materials for their floors.  Flooring selections have a purpose, and that purpose is not just to please an investor or future building owner.

Evaluate the needs and the maintenance, and select the product that works best for your specific circomstances.

For those wanting to protect their hardwood floors and not wanting cold feet - and don't have pets; getting a large area rug with soft back and bound on all edges will meet present needs without damaging the floor for the future.

And I've seen many multi-million dollar homes with carpeting; even over original hardwood floors that were still in excelent condition.

Profile picture for aprilg

I personally feel with two dogs, Pergo is much more durable than hardwood and does not require the maintenance of hardwood. Even though some may say it looks "cheap" and may have an undesirable sound when walked on, if you use a good quality laminate like a Pergo, with a good underlayment, it looks even better than hardwood. I would think that hardwood adds more value to the house in an appraiser's perspective, but as a homeowner, I prefer laminate.

As for adding value, hardwood floors wins hands down. In luxury homes, you will rarely see laminate floors.

I'm personally not a big fan of laminate floors.

Profile picture for Bette Defarm
I'm with Callista, pergo/laminates are dreadful and on so many levels... I don't care if they wear like 18/10 steel, they are an assault on the senses.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

so your telling me that hardwood is the only way to go in  this house as well?  I have spent more on flooring for 1 room than it costs to buy this house. ....   and yes that is the purchase price not the rental price.

Profile picture for Coconutcream

I would, Scott. It was built in 1914 and since it was so cheap it deserves to be restored. What's on the floor now? I would think there has to be hardwood somewhere in that house given it's age.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

It's in one of the worst neighborhoods of cleveland, OH.  I seriously doubt that it has hardwoods underneath. Like I mentioned before, some houses just dont fit the scale. If your going to live in the house forever , I agree go ahead and make any improvement you want at any cost for your own comfort or preference.  If you plan on moving within a certain period of time...  you should consider the scale of the neighborhood or your  wasting  money.   Alot of this has to do with preference of the local market as well.  In the northern states pergo seems to be much more accepted than it is elsewhere just like stained concrete floors are acceptable in the western states.  If you tried to sell a house here in Florida with polished concrete floors  people would look at you like you were crazy or wonder if you sold the carpet  to support your crack habit.

Profile picture for Coconutcream

It probably wasn't in one of the worst neighborhoods in 1914 when it was built, though. In 1914 what else beside hardwood would have been used for flooring? There was no such thing as wall to wall carpet or laminate. Don't know if linoelium was around then but it wouldn't have been used in every room anyway. If I were you I'd rip up whatever is covering the floors now and see what is under them. Cahnces are it's hardwood that possibly could be restored.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3