Profile picture for Barbarellie829

Isn't Pergo almost as good as real hardwood?

We are currently remodeling, and have decided to tear up the existing hardwood (it was only in the front hall anyway-most of the house had carpet) and put down pergo. I personally like the laminate better than the hardwood, it's easier to care for. What are your thoughts (as it pertains to resale)? This is a high-middle range home.

On a side note, we put CHEAP laminate in the last house we remodeled (last year)- it was $1.76 a sq. foot at Lowes, and the buyer's inspector gave us "credit" for restoring the original hardwood floors- the house was built in 1887!

• January 15 2008 - US

Profile picture for lucydjacobs

If you use laminate, keep it far, far away from bathrooms and kitchen. One leak in the back of your dishwasher, and an entire kitchen and family room floor will warp or buckle and you'll have to replace half of the house.

Profile picture for Jenta

With all the discussion about "Pergo, or Laminated floors" versus Hardwood, Here is an interesting article from CNN/Money Magazine, about just that topic.  I advise anyone being told they HAVE to use hardwood and Have to use granite, to read this article.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/26/real_estate/remodel_cost_value_ratio_drops/index.htm?cnn=yes

Profile picture for plopsmom

We have a home in a market that has virtually zero sales.  We have allergies and two dogs.  We had to have a wood floor of some kind.  Medical necessity.  We went out and got what they call a manufactured wood.  At least I think that's what it's called.  I'm so stressed about the real estate market I can't keep it straight.  It's wood that has been pre-finished by the company, tongue and grooved before you get it.  All you have to do is pop in place similar to pergo.  It can be re-sanded at least once or twice.  It can be bought in various finishes and thickness depending on your budget.  We went to ifloor.com and found a great deal.  A storefront right here where we could go to buy the stuff.  Pergo just looks cheap, it's literally a photograph of wood on your floor.  If your home is worth more than a cheapie I would avoid pergo.  When we asked around everyone said the same thing - it just looks cheap.  Especially if you have a large expanse of it, it looks like what it is.  The pre-finished wood is a great compromise I think.  Heck I wouldn't put a thin dime into my house right now due to plummeting market value.  This was a great solution to soothe my eye and my allergies.  Now if only someone would take the darn house off our hands....

Profile picture for docde

Pergo was beautiful until a 3" square chipped out. Since planks are glued down, can't do anythong other than cut and paste. Wood could just be sanded, no matter what damage is done. Pergo does get damaged and then you are sunk. Pretty styles though.

Profile picture for CpaMbaJD

We had pergo in our condo in the kitchen and dining rooms and I loved it.  But we have hard wood in our house now (really solid, original 1955 hard wood) and I'm amazed at how tough, easy-to-care-for and beautiful it is.  Once you have real wood, the pergo does seem cheesy in comparison.

Profile picture for Cathy Sloan

Majority of my Buyers do not like Pergo.  They can't stand the sound when you walk over it.  I see it with small or  large chips broken out because someone dropped something on it.

Low end buyers seem to like the look and will not rule a home out that has it.

Buyers in the mid to high range don't like it and will rule out a home that has it.

My Mother-in-law has it in her kitchen and hates it.  Says it gets water drop spots all the time that makes the floor look dirty.  She is constantly wiping up water spots.

I personally do not like walking on it.

Median price buyers don't like it at all and prefer the real thing.  In our area Hardwood cost almost he same as pergo.

I wouldn't touch a house with Pergo or laminate unless I had a large budget line for reflooring.

Even some of the linoleums are preferable to Pergo.

Profile picture for gvw3
  • gvw3

I think Pergo is ok. If you have a high end home of course you need hard wood. I have had a pergo type product in a room in our home for almost 10 years and it still looks fine. I put this in as a temp fix for carpet that had to go. I was going to lay hardwood when time and money allowed. Pergo is a good week end project and is inexpensive. It beats carpet or self stick tiles. It will never be as good as hard wood.

Profile picture for greg1231

We decided against laminate, and used an engineered hardwood by Mirage (also cheaper than the builder's price by $2500). The pieces lock in place so no gluing is needed. It can be refinished twice and the warranty is 25-30 years. It is cheaper to install than hardwood because it is less labor intensive, but the floor is beautiful.

Profile picture for greg1231

traditional

Profile picture for greg1231

hardwood

Profile picture for Carmen00

No! Pergo is loud, cheap looking, and just in poor taste. I am looking to buy a home and when I see "pergo floors" I won't even bother to look at the home.

Profile picture for 21 Newells Meadow La

My Two cents in an area that has HUGE humidity changes, and after repairing my Girlfriend's beautiful Maple floor....

Be CAREFUL with hardwood. It will expand and contract in may environments a HUGE amount.

My Girlfriend's floor had a bulge 8 inches high in the middle of the room from expansion. It is fixed now, but not as pretty as it was, you can't get material to match the aged wood, and you have to face nail repairs.

Installation is key, leave at least 1/2 inch all around, and make sure this includes doorways, thesholds, etc....

Profile picture for stevewikoff

Tacky, tacky, tacky. Unless you have a lower end house where it is accepted and normal, leave it alone, totally not worth it. Save your money. For a few dollars more per square foot you can have a beautiful hardwood floor! It is such a turn-off. If I bought a house with Pergo, I would rip it out. I would rather have carpet. My wife scrimped and saved for a hardwood floor and it has completely made our house a beautiful home. It added about $8,000 in value to our home!!! Talk about return on investment...

Yes, It may be concidered tacky, yucky, or undesirable to some, but it does have its place. If you are thinking about installing it for improvement for the resale of your home, think about real wood instead. If a low maintance, kid and dog friendly floor is more important then resale value then go with the Prego. You can't mess up Prego, it doesn't scratch, dent or need to be refinished, if you put a cigerette out on it won't hurt it. You can't do this to a wood floor. If durability is what your after it's not a bad choice. There are ceramic tiles that look beautiful and amazingly like real wood, and again, lower maintenance and user friendly.  Check into it.

Profile picture for The Leonardo Team

Hi Barbarellie,

Hardwood floors are perceived as more value than pergo. In my "previous life" when i was doing real estate in san francisco, the land of victorian homes, we would always advise our clients to leave the original hardwood floors, unless they were in a real bad shape. Buyer's interested in older homes see it as an added value , even if later they remove it.

Leonardo.

It"s All About Lifestyle!

OMG................Go with the real stuff!!!!! Hardwoods are beautiful and they last a long time!!! Always try to salvage your hardwoods first and if you have to replace for the love of God go with the real Hardwoods, which by the way are just as easy to clean if you have a few coats of poly on them. My hardwoods are almost 70 years old and are absolutly georgious. Just had them sanded and sealed (which by the way wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be) and I am soooooooo happy that I did. I have two kids and two cats and my floor still looks great!!!!

Tear out the pergo and go with real hardwoods if you can!!! I don't know about you guys but I can tell the diff between laminate and real hardwoods.

Profile picture for TheAwkwardGuy

Laminates and Hardwoods both have thier good qualities.

Here in New England laminate works great in the basement where real wood would not work because of mostiure issues. Laminates have evolved alot since this thread was started. They have realistic textures and with the proper underlayment they don't have the dreaded "clacking" sound.

I'm actually a flooring retailer and have laminate floors in my showroom. Most people don't realize that they are walking on a laminate utill I tell them. If you get the laminate flooring with the planks rather than the smaller strips it will look more like wood. Laminates also come in stone and tile patterns wich also look very nice.

Quick Step laminate is a good example of a quality laminte. It is covered by a water warranty as well as a 25yr stain, wear, fade warranty. You can use it in the bathroom, kitchen and laundryroom. Keep in mind that even hardwood floors will become damaged when you experiance a flooding situation like a broken pipe or overflowing drain. I know because I've also worked in the flood remediation industry

I think laminates should be considered an upgrade from carpet/vinyl and not a compairable material to wood. Cork and Bamboo is also compairable to wood.

Profile picture for TheAwkwardGuy

Just looked at the first post again. Thought it was posted last year.

Either way, there have been numorious changes in the laminate side of flooring.

Profile picture for Barbarellie829

I just logged in, and was surprised to find this post still near the top!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions/ thoughts, and decided to go with the Pergo. We chose a wide plank look, in antique oak style, and it looks really nice. There was hardwood in the entryway/kitchen, and this looks much much better.

I'm also comfortable that it will stand up to my dogs and my clumsiness. I also love the fact that I can drag heavy furniture across it with no fear of scratching!

I read that some people had issues with breakage and they couldn't replace the piece because it was glued down... We don't have that issue, as ours "floats".

Profile picture for itzomi

I just installed laminate flooring over the weekend and it is truly an adjustment.  I do not like the cheap, hollow sound it makes - it doesn't sound "homey" - but the plank choice itself looks pretty good. 

I am not sure I should have done this...but I live in a crappy neighborhood (which was nice when we first moved in in the '60s) and hardwood just would be a waste, esp. since I have lost about $300K in the value of my home in the past 2 years.  Plus, I have a large dog who leaves drops of slobber everywhere and I understand that you have to be careful not to get hardwood wet. 

I also have developed allergies in recent years, so that was another reason I chose to ditch carpeting.  But I do miss the feel of it...

I do prefer the look of hardwood, but considering I needed something with the simplest upkeep, I guess I made the right choice.  And I'm not going to have any rich snobs touring my house/neighborhood anytime soon, so I doubt I have to worry about it being seen as chintzy. 

Profile picture for ru2good112

Pergo isn't close to hardwood floors, resale value hands down isn't there.  My biggest thing with pergo is that it cannot be refinsihed like hardwood.  I got lucky, in my house underneath the carpet the hardwood was preserved, it does have some character though since it has been installed since 1948.  I am still not sure why anyone would carpet over it, but bonus to me!!!

Profile picture for Nicholas_Bostaph

I'm going to go against the mainstream here, but hardwood turns me off in a house.  I much prefer laminate.  Laminate performs better and costs less, not to mention the way older hardwood tends to bow and show spacing between the planks.  Laminate is also easier to install, having worked with both.  When I see a home with hardwood it makes me feel like the owner is making sub-optimal decisions to conform to a socially or culturally defined rule.  I don't want painted with that same brush, so it turns me off as a buyer.

Carpet is a turnoff too.  Looks worse, gets beatup easily, traps dust and dirt, is impossible to clean when one of your cats stains it in some way.  Laminate and Tile is definitely the way to go throughout the house.

Be warned I'm not your normal buyer of course.  But I think the younger demographic is more likely to prefer higher performing artificial products over Victorian Charm.  My best advice would be to know your demographic and plan accordingly.

Profile picture for StaceyBeck01
This might sound crazy but [Promotion and hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Pergo is for apartments.  in a house, you want hardwoods.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3