Jacuzzi vs. Clawfoot tub: What do home buyers prefer?

I have a non-functional jacuzzi (the town is taxing me on) and rather than try to have it repaired [removing all the tile for access to the motor] I thought I'd just replace it with a clawfoot tub.  The bathroom is large with a separate shower, high ceiling, skylight, and 2 linen closets.

How desirable is a jacuzzi?  Do buyers want them or cringe?  And how do they feel about the clawfoot tubs?

• March 24 2014 - Essex
  • 0

Thanks to all the experts that have replied. A conversation with a bathroom remodeler for a quote confirms what you've all advised.  He said that he has been replacing a lot of jacuzzi's that were installed in the 80's.

Hello
 Sounds like a clawfoot tub will fit right into your 1890 house.  It is good that you have a seperate shower since using a clawfoot as a shower is a bit awkward with the shower curtains.   I really love clawfoot tubs.  I don't like jacuzzis and most buyers feel the same way.   I feel they are fading luxury a novelty that is more trouble than it is worth. The last 2 houses  I owned had jacuzzis in the masters and I used them probably 5 times? I get thinking about the gross water sitting in the pipes from the last use 3 months ago so I would fill it up, run it and drain it then fill it again for use. What a waste.
Go with the classic elegant clawfoot. You will have buyers literally gasp when they see it.

Claw foot tubs tend to fit more of the traditional/antique decor. When used, it is best to still have a shower in the same bathroom as today's buyer will take far fewer baths and many more showers than 100 years ago. With that said, the jacuzzi is also more of a luxury of the early 2000's that people HAD to have in certain price points but after a few uses, it the excited fizzled. Tubs large enough to truly soak with a multiple shower heads (rain, varying spray settings, etc.) all tend to be what sells today. In addition, tiled or stone showers are in whereas, the 1 piece units are ok but not as desirable (price of home overall will dictate whether the tile job is necessary).

Hope you find this useful.

Thank you both!  It may actually have a cleaner, more elegant look if the jacuzzi and all the aging tiles are removed...

In my opinion, I  think the "craze" for jacuzzis has come and gone.....many buyers don't want them anymore.........so a "soaking" tub of some sort  is fine.....if a claw foot tub fits in with the character of the rest of the bathroom - go for it

(by the way, I doubt your property taxes will be lowered to any extent by substituting a soaker tub for a jacuzzi)

The original house was built in 1890.  The master bath is pretty big.  It fits the jacuzzi with a tile ledge all around.

Ramarshall

The comments that I have heard from my clients generally pertain to how much room the tub has and how easy or difficult it is to get in and out of the tub. Since your bathroom also has a shower the tub probably wont be a big deal. Does the Clawfoot tub fit in with the period of the house? ( when was house built?)