Profile picture for Drapesforaqueen

Judging of houses and the people who live in them

This is something that a co-worker and I noticed while reading some of the discussions, many people seem to pass judgement on certain houses, neighborhoods, county, and homes by the price. Let me explain on many blogs people shw picture of what is for sell for a certain amount and make fun of the home. For example the LA area pictures are always posted of the ghetto and about being shot and needing a bulletproof vest. Yes alot of neighborhoods are bad but everyone ;living there is not. A home make look like a shack to some but someone called that home. They owned and worked hard for it, even if they got help from the goverment they still worked for it. Owning your own home is a goal people try to reach for a long time, the home may be only a 100,000 but its still is worth the dream. I dont care if someone owns a home in the ghetto, the projects, the trailer park, or the low income side of town, they still own a home. So what there home is not worth as much as your, they can't affford to buy another, their income is not in the same tax bracket, or the goverment helped them get their house it what they call home, and where no landlord can kick them out.

• May 06 2008 - US
  • 0

I couldn't agree with you more.  If there wasn't such a problem with elitist attitudes and people bought what they could actually afford, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now.  There is nothing wrong with starting small and working your way up, if that is what you choose to do. 

Profile picture for Webster3

Very well said! This shpould be moved to the Buyer discussions!

Profile picture for mina36
I agree.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Owning your own home is a goal people try to reach for a long time, the home may be only a 100,000 but its still is worth the dream.

OK it depends on where you are,  because 100k can get you a really nice house in some parts of the country.  Like here.

Profile picture for mpal.

I think the L.A. pictures that I have seen posted are by people who have actually gone out to the area to look at a house and saw a neighborhood in ruins.  While I agree that people shouldn't make fun, people DO buy or NOT buy because of their surroundings, not just the home they are going to live in.  I for one, would not buy a home in a neighborhood that was rundown, in disrepair or where I would be afraid to live.  I know people who have not purchased a home because the neighbors had broken down cars on blocks in the front yard.   It's wonderful that you take pride in homeownership, but some people do not.   We've even had people here post a concern about a possible sex offender living in the area where they are buying a home, to some people that's enough not to buy.  While the rest of the neighborhood is wonderful, if you are constantly going to be worried about your safety, it's not worth it, there are plenty of other areas to live in.

True mpal, but when I bought my first craphole, the neighborhood was pretty run down.  I went in and cleaned up the yard and painted, etc. - then the neighbors started doing the same.  Today, it's actually a pretty nice street to drive down.  Neighborhoods can be turned around.  Of course, if there are a bunch of slumlords that own in an area, that wouldn't happen.

Profile picture for mpal.

I agree, they can be turned around, but it's by people willing to take a risk that improvements will be made, not to just their homes but to others.  Someone recently posted about having their house on the market and that the people who lived across the street from them really let their house and property run down, so that when you walk out of the front door that's your view, that was the negative feedback that they got from agents.  Potential buyers were really turned off, and that sucks cause you can't do anything about someone elses property.  We all know that in this market there are so many choices for buyers and the sellers of this home will probably have to drop the price of the home significantly to make it a more "attractive" purchase.

Well, if that was my neighborhood, I'd be calling code enforcement everyday until the yard was cleaned up.  That would never fly with me.  I am the queen of a-holes remember.  LOL

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Marci: Amen.  I would be doing the same thing with code enforcement.  Seriously, I am not crazy about every little thing, but if it looks like you run a junkyard in your spare time, forget it.  You will be getting a visit from the local code enforcer if I have to look at your crap everyday.

Our code enforcement is really good too.  I was actually surprised.  If you don't clean up your yard, the city will, and charge your behind.

Profile picture for mpal.

Me too!  I would call like crazy!  The last town I lived in had an ordinance that you couldn't have a clothes line in your yard to dry your clothes, there are considered eyesores. 

Profile picture for rockinblu

Just an opinion. No basis of fact. It seems to me urban re-newal projects occur all the time and are  generally quite successful. However, once the typical suburbia subdivision starts going downhill, it gets on a very slippery slope that is very hard to recover from. 

I rent and my house is one of the nicest on the block....hard to see that the owners around here take any more pride in where they live just cause they own.  Many of them are too busy working to pay the bills to spend any quality time picking weeds and picking up the pile of newspapers at the end of the drive.

Flip side to the OP:  There are people who no matter where, how nice, or how much money they have.......they don't really care what, where, or how the condition of their home.....in every neighborhood I have ever lived in there is that one house on the block that you just roll your eyes at......they paid just as much as you to buy that house and they let it fall into disrepair, let the lawn die a slow death, etc.....so yes someone called that house a home but they treated it badly and no skin off my back if they can't sell it for the pie in the sky prices!