Jumbo Refi - What are my Options?

Original Loan: $850K

Loan Balance: $805K

Current Rate: 6.125%

Current Value: ~$920-$890K per Zillow

Refi rate: 4.0%-3.8%

Add'l + $80K  to get LTV below 80%

What are my options?

Loan is currently with BofA. Since I have a jumbo loan I don't qualify for any special programs. Have not gotten any success working with BofA directly.

The only option they provided is a conventional refinance by putting another +$80K down to qualify for LTV. My credit is excellent and never missed a payment. Breakeven is roughly 4 yrs if put down the $80K but is that advisable? I've already put in ~$300K in principal & interest over the past 5 yrs.

• October 18 2012 - Danville
  • 0

Are you a veteran by chance? Jumbo VA loans offer very attractive rates and with no mortgage insurance. If not, we have a very attractive standard Jumbo product if you would like to take a look.

Hi there,

You have a few different options you can look at. The most obvious is if your loan to value is at 80% or less and you can do just simple refinance.

If your loan to value is more than 80%, you still have options. There are programs out there that will allow you to have one loan above 80% loan to value on Jumbo loans. There are ones with and without mortgage insurance. 

Another option is to split your loan into two with a first up to 80% and the balance on a second. One last option would be what you have stated above which is to do a principle reduction on your loan and bring cash to closing so that your loan is at 80% or less.

If you would like to run some numbers, please send me a direct message. 

Kaveh
NMLS #247776

I offer a few portfolio loan programs that would allow you to refinance at 90% LTV. Contact me through my profile if you are interested in more information.

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

You could consider a first to 80% and a small second up to 90%. This might help with your cash. You will probably still need to bring in some cash but I have quite a few clients who opt for a small line of credit to help make up the difference. Would this work for you? Thanks and I wish you well!

Paul

Ask your Mortgage Consultant or Realtor for a Comparative Market Analysis. You will get a better idea of value if you think it will be an issue. If you need help...I am local- Down the street from you! 

Ivan

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
I would not trust the Zillow guesstamate. I would speak to other lenders other than BoA and see what they offer. I would also try and get a better handle on the current value and not trust an online guess.

Tim