Profile picture for jwilson33952

Junior Military Academy

Is this the former home of a private school named Junior Military Academy, circa 1950-1960's?
  • Question refers to 5040 S Greenwood Ave, Chicago, IL 60615
  • 0

Profile picture for jns450868
That Lutheran church 2 doors down is now the Obama family house.
  • February 17

Profile picture for glsmith4
The Junior Military Academy was located at 5026 South Greenwood Avenue. FYI. I attended only briefly in early 1951.
  • January 16

Profile picture for gw0839
Anyone that was there back in the early 70,s email me if you like . gw0839@gmail.com

Profile picture for gw0839
That place was a hell hole I remember the corporal punishment. Major ginett and lt curry. I was there a few years in the early 70,s I got out when I started 6th grade. I'm going yo be 56 in Oct anyone that was there during that time frame holler at me.

Profile picture for letti1002
It was 5026 Greenwood. There was a Catholic church down the street as well as a Lutheran Church two doors away from the school.

I attended JMA fifth through eighth grade graduating in 1948. Robert Conrad alias Conrad Smith was in that class as Cadet Major. Eddie Hubbard, the Chicago disk jockey was married to his Mom, Jackie Smith. Teachers Warren Watwood, Captain Napier, Kalitsky, Capt. Harold Waldenmier. Col. Coe didn't like me  because I ran away often. I didn't like it there. I hated the beatings with wire coat hangers. Altho' it is probably responsible for whatever  order I have in my life now as I approach 80 years of age in a few days. .........Lloyd Cobb

Profile picture for RonLawrence
Missed the address again...I thought for 50 years it was 5065 but learned a couple of years ago that it was 5026 S. Greenwood... Made the same error in the previous comment...Ron Lawrence

Profile picture for RonLawrence
JMA was at 5065 S. Greenwood...I did 7th grade and 1/2 of the 8th grade there in 55, 56...A couple of years ago I caught that Obama's mansion was on the same block....I am in touch by email with Fred Pickhard and Nick Grumbos from that period at JMA..

Ron Lawrence

Profile picture for bfrt312
5026 So. Greenwood, was JMA

I went to this school in the early 60's and remember major ginett and remember attention with our hands just before meal time! any I was in the elementary classes and cant remember our basketball coaches name byt if anybody wants to contact me they can at  alfree1957@yahoo.com  does anybody remember  tim foley 

Profile picture for Carnocker
We are not talking about (Bloominton Springs, TN). The JMA is a school in the Hyde nPark area of Chicago IL,

It's funny to read all the positive comments about JMA (Bloominton Springs, TN).  My memories of the early-60s there and Major DeBerry are 1) No heat in the rooms in Winter; 2) Harsh corporal punishment; 3) Some of the teachers molesting young boys; and 4) Being brought back after we ran away to tell the sheriff what was going on.

I was a JMA student, circa 1933-1934, while it was located at Bloominton Springs, TN.  Major DeBerry was the headmaster, and at age 6-7, it was like home to me.  Looking for JMA pictures or yearbook  of that era.

7014 Petit St.
San Diego, CA 92111

Profile picture for Carnocker
Maj. Ginnett Lived in Pine Bluff Arkansas I know this because my Mom would send him our Christmas cards some time after I graduated in 1967.

Profile picture for RonLawrence
Anyone remember Captain McCarthy? He was the Principle when I was there in 55 & 56. I remember the Sunday night Demerit swats by that man. I remember Lt Butterfield and another Lt named Ostroski (I may be off a bit on the spelling) who was a Polish immigrant and pretty good teacher.Some of the names I remember of students would be Geisel, Destafano, Butler, Hoffman, Murphy, Flannagan...

Ol JMA was hell for me had to eat in the fire place of the main dining room but That was OK cause I could throw the Liver,Brockli and Cornd beef hash down the Ciner shoot I am sure the Rats lover that I atternded from sept 63 to june of 64 The Place was satanic

:D This is one of my favorite threads! It is always nice to see JMA alumni connecting on Zillow.

Does anyone know if there are plans for a reunion or maybe someone could start a JMA facebook page so that past students can share stories and photos. That would be nice.

Profile picture for bfrt312
I attended JMA 65-66 ..... the address was 5026 Greenwood,  does anyone know what happen to Maj. Ginnett, I'm sure he has passed on by
now, I think he was from GA.    M. Ramirez passed the saber onto Gary
P. for the 66-67 class, and I when onto RMA in Aledo for one year. Then
back to RIA and public school when my Dad returned for deployment.

Cadet SM  Wm. Howard Class of 66 

Profile picture for Mr Green Jeans
I attended, in 67-68, graduated, Salutatorian.  Major James F. Ginnett, Headmaster.  I was a member in the rifle squad.  Allegedly, TV actor Robert Conrad attended JMA
.         

My name is Roy harris,and I attended JMA,was the best times I had.Lt. williams was a knuckle head and Lt Hammonds was a weird bird,he was known as the vulture or the buzzard.Capt. Butterfield was known as Butterball,I have to say that he was the best teacher there.I was in, the class of 1959.Some of the guys that I remember   Richard Zitella, Vito Splendorio,ken cunningham. And u r right the President does own that house on the corner,where the church use too be.Well it wa nice to hear from some of the JMA crew.Hope to hear from some of u guys in the future. Roy Harris

Did 7th and 8th at JMA in '42-'43. Col. Coe expanded from two buildings by acquiring the home to the west and I moved there from the gym building.  It was in the gym building that I got my NRA sharpshooter medal - and always caused a stir when carrying my rifle home on the city bus. Had a great teacher - Lowell E Olson.  I remember Fred Sudak, Kenny Kaplan and that is about it. Graduated in a class of 8!

Jess Dillon
jmdillon@swbell.net

I taught at Junior Military School, 1961-62, located at 5040 S. Greenwood. I also coached the basketball team. Orville Riley Williams was the principal. Would love to hear from former students and staff. Jimmy Arnold. Email jcarnold@jmcss.org

Profile picture for dougaskew
I went to JMA 3rd ~ 8th graduating in 64 then 4 years at Roosevelt Military Academy in Aledo, Ill.

I am confused.  Is this property Obama's?  There was 3 building, a front building for lower grades and upper grades where in back building while the Cole's lived in building next to front building.  ( remember his Cads every 2 years),

I believe the principal was named Williams and we had one teacher named Hamm I believe who passed away.

If as stated it was for horses that would make sense for the gym which was for competition. 

Wow, lot of memories come flooding back.  I did also hate spending weekends there when folks were out of town.

Couple of kids I remember were St. Peter, Harvey Moy, Vega Ramos.

Long time ago in a land far far away!

Doug Askew

Profile picture for jimbrnette
I attended J.M.A.  sometime around '55 '57. I think for the 5th and 6th grade. wish i could hav finished but family moved. I remember the dorm and messhall in the large building out front. I believe it was a 3 or 4 story building. spent many a cold day in the courtyard drilling. I understood the classroom area in back used to be a stable and servant quarters. Spent some time at attention in the gym on punishment tour. I don't remember my classmates but I remember Captain Butterfield, an instructer. good man and  a positive influence. This was a good time in my life. The address is 5026 s greenwood ave. had to remember this as I spent a lot of time running back and forth to the science and industry museum on the weekend. I would like to find out when the school closed. please e-mail
jameslbarnette@cox.net

Profile picture for jayrick
I attended JMA 48-53. It was owned by a Colonel Coe. There was a victorian in front, a courtyard and an academic building in back. The owner lived in a house on the north side of the property. Is the complex still there?

Profile picture for RonLawrence
I attended JMA in 55 & 56 but remember the address as 5065 S, Greenwood Avenue...and I too went to the Lutheran Church on the same block...I just found out yesterday that the Obama Mansion is at 5046 S. Greenwood...
I left half way through the 8th grade...when did the school close and why?
Ron Lawrence
lawrence266@hotmail.com

Profile picture for bfrt312
JMA  was at 5026 So. Greenwood, I attended JMA 65-66 was the best two yyears ever.

Classmates here has a lot of schools listed, but I don't know about that one in particular. Several of my friends actually reconnected with old school friends on that site so it might be worth a try.

I went to JMA in the late 50's and early 60's. Wish I could contact more folks that attended.

Profile picture for expatinasia
This home (5040 S. Greenwood) is a next door neighbor to the Obamas.

1. 1
  2. 2