Profile picture for ifonlyuwereme

Keep Security Bars on Windows?

Should I keep the black iron security/burglar bars on my windows or remove them? Few in my neighborhood have them, and I notice neighbors are gradually removing them.

My husband is adamantly opposed(he's in law enforcement), but I think it gives a buyer the impressions that there is a high crime rate in the neighborhood (which is not currently the case). I also am worried about being trapped in a fire - only the master bedroom has an unlockable grate on it.

I'd like to compromise for now and just take them off the front of the house to improve the appearance/curb appeal. What does the rest of Zillow think?
  • April 19 2009 - Terrell Heights
  • 0

If you're selling, I would remove them.

Dont forget that bars not only keep you in durring a fire...they keep Fireman out!

Ive been burned and would rather be burglarized anyday!

There are also new security windows that "just dont break" and security systems galore.

About every month in NY we see on the news that some child was trapped in a fire and could not get out.

As an Inspectors we must report on Window size, Emergency egress, double keyed doors, Etc for this very reason.

My vote is to remove them and take other precautions if need be. Good luck and be safe!

Profile picture for T2M Real Estate
I would trust your husband (he probably knows more about the neighborhood crime stats than anyone else, since he is in law enforcement).  However, ask him to weigh the option of a paid home monitoring service (like Kathia mentioned).

I wish I had a paid home monitoring service when I was growing up; I had bars too.  After a few break-ins, it is amazing how you forget about fire safety.

Whatever you decide, DO NOT trade your safety for the hope of a higher asking price.  Maybe, offer to have it removed prior to closing.. then sell it to your neighbor when the deal is done.

Sincerely

How are the crime statistics in your neighborhood?
Do you have any other protection such as a paid home monitoring system?
It does scare some buyers when they see the bars on a home for sale it gives the impression that the neighborhood is not very safe.
Good luck! and Stay Safe!!

We do a lot of pre marketing work on foreclosed homes for Wells Fargo.
Every property that has the security bars on it, the new buyers ask that they be taken down.
Funny thing is, when one of the neighbors see's us taking them down, they come over and ask if they can have them !

The most important reason: emergency egress. Security bars keep the good people in and may not let them out when a fire is just behind them. Tell your husband to hack them off TODAY.

http://www.homesafetycouncil.org/safety_guide/sg_fire_w006.aspx

This one is a no brainer.  Take them down.  There are a couple reasons.
1.  People generally behave in ways appropriate to the environmental context they find themselves in.  This goes for criminals too.  It's important to communicate that your neighborhood is so safe and desirable that you don't need fences or metal bars on your window.  
   Many cops will tell you that in ghettoized neighborhoods when the broken glass gets fixed the crime goes down.  It's not one factor but a combination of factors that come together in snowball fashion.  It starts with someone taking a chance that their money will be wisely invested in the area.  Then more people do so.  Then the better elements come in and the worse move out.

2.  Good for property value.

3.  If someone is out to kill you there is nothing to be done about it.  You have to sleep some time.

4.  If someone is determined to break into your home they will do so.