Profile picture for amcox_us

Kitchen Flooring: Hardwood or Tile

I'm building a home is torn between hardwood or tiled flooring in the kitchen. I will have hardwood throughout the first floor. The kitchen and family room is a semi-open plan. I'm unsure of the flow.
  • October 21 2012 - US
  • 0

They both can work, but personally I prefer hardwood.  This will help make your space look larger and works especially well with an open floor plan. It seems to be more in style as well.  It's easier of your feet, warmer and easier to clean. 

Below is a blog post I wrote on the pros and cons for both hardwood and tile.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.  I hope this is helpful.
[website deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for wreynol4
I think tile, in areas like the kitchen which see so much foot traffic everyday, hardwood is probably more hassle to keep up with.  But just like anything it goes back to personal preference and your budget!

I have seen many homes with both wood and tile in the kitchens. It does come down to personal taste.  In a rental home I have a oak floor in part of the kitchen, on one side of the bar and black tile in the main part around the stove, fridge and sink. It is a more modern kitchen. In my own home I have wide plank pine floors throughout the first floor but along the high traffic kitchen area there is a earth tone tile.  
   Depending on the wood floor you choose make sure it won't dent with time with say a refrigerator sitting on it. 
  Tile is easier and cheaper but less forgiving. 
  Head to the flooring stores and check out their displays. There is alot of tiles that will compliment a wood floor. 
I would say go half and half but it really is a personal choice.   

Profile picture for Wendy Tockey
Having hardwood in a wet area is always risky. As a designer of 17 years, I have found that if you use a tile that has a mottled or natural look and is close to the color of the wood (so that the eye doesn't see the break in the rooms) is a great choice. It keeps the flow of the flooring and resists water much better.  Also using large tiles so that there is not much grout is a great idea and try to match the grout to the tile as much as possible.

Profile picture for NinaHarris
Most kitchens experience a lot of traffic; therefore tile would be a better choice. The product is more durable and easier to maintain.

Profile picture for amcox_us
Thank you all for you feedback. I will taking a look at different homes to see how well the rooms flow with all wood.

Profile picture for Tom at the Lake

This is definitely a personal prefererence question and we see both sides in the earlier responses.  If it is one big area, i prefer one floor covering instead of multiple seams.  I don't know if you have seen this yet.  Have you heard of LVP?  That stands for Luxury Vinyl Planks.  These are individual Vinyl planks that actually have dimension.  They are very hard and have texture that looks like wood grain. It is pretty amazing.  It is popular in basements because there is no concern with moisture.  Moisture can cause buckling of any type of wood or engineered wood flooring.  On the main level however, I love the hand scraped cross cut engineered wood.  It has more of a rustic feel and I am getting ready to use it in my lake home.  Good luck.  I'm sure it will be great.

Profile picture for JPyszChicago
Hardwood all over will give you a lot more spacious looks, that matters. It will in general look a lot better because of the consistent flow. Of course, it`s just a matter of taste. As far as resale goes, I`d say people tend to like hardwood all over better,  when searching for homes...

Tile is easier to keep clean and deals with wet better, but most tile is very hard and unforgiving.  If you are standing and cooking for hours your legs get exhausted on tile.  If you drop your glass on the floor, it will shatter on tile, but has a chance of life if dropped on hardwood.  

We've had both, and I'd vote for hardwood 100x over if you enjoy kitchen time and wish to continue to enjoy kitchen time without covering the work areas with squishy mats.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
I agree with tile in wet areas in most cases. Remember that there are some very cool "wood look" tiles available also.

Don't forget tile is also cheaper to maintain and cheaper to install, than hardwood. Plus you have so many choices to choose from...a good tile can really "bring it all together" in that new kitchen. I have a bias though because all of my assets have tile/stone in areas that are exposed to liquid on a regular basis:ie kitchens, laundry rooms, bathrooms, etc. Cheers

Profile picture for amcox_us
Thank you for your response. I've been racking my brain for months. I've been going back and forth. My husband wants tile. I'm torn between the two. He's been to easy going. I also want to give him something.

We use tile in all our kitchens, personally, because it is very easy to keep clean. No need to worry about 'x' liquids falling/drying/soaking on it for the most part. Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck