Profile picture for maddainc

LLC For Income Property?

Question..I took over and am in charge of my fathers house while he went away for 3 years and he left me in charge. I fixed it up and am renting it out so i can cover the mortgage and hopefully make a profit, while i haven't made a profit yet (its soon coming) can i make an LLC to claim any income and losses.

FACT: Im not on the deed mortgage etc.
FACT: when the renters pay me they pay by check in my name
FACT: I spent 15-20k to fix it up and get the place livable 
FACT: I am paying the mortgage payment and any utilities, the utilities are in my name but the mortgage I'm just paying his bill.

I DONT WANT TO PUT THE HOUSE IN AN LLC I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE/LEGAL TO MAKE AN LLC TO REPORT MY INCOME / EXPENSES SO I DONT GET HIT WITH TAXES FOR COLLECTING RENT WHILE ITS JUST GOING BACK IN TO THE HOUSE TO COVER MORTGAGE AND UTILITIES. 

So i want to make a profit and loss sheet at the end of the year and file it on my personal tax return, can i claim the repairs/ materials / labor for the renovation?

November 18 2013 - Baychester