Profile picture for BennyZ1972

Landord changed appliance before we moved in and put older appliance than the one he showed us.

Hi, my husband and I signed a one-year lease for a house but we have not yet moved in to it.   The house is owned and operated by a rental company that owns many properties that it rents.  When the house was shown it had certain appliances -- a modern oven, refrigerator, and dishwasher.  When we received the keys to look over the place yesterday, we saw that the landlord had changed the appliances with totally different ones. The appliances that were in the place originally were newer and were different colors and style. I don't like the new appliances. And the kitchen looks dated and totally different than it was when it was first shown to us.  I told the landlord that  I wanted the new appliances and he first said that he didn't know the appliances were going to be changed and he would look into it, but today he is saying that the appliances were changed because they were not working.  What can I do?  I already paid the deposit and the first month's rent.  I would like the appliances to be changed back before we move in, but if the landlord is not willing to do that, what are my rights?  Can I ask for my money back? Can I demand that the appliances that were shown to us before we signed the lease be put back into the house?  Is there any local government authority that can help me with this?  We are moving to Pinellas County, Florida. Thanks a lot!

• July 10 2012 - US

Hello, I'm am posting here because I had a very similar situation happen and I am looking for an answer soon. Hopefully someone will reply soon and we will both have answers.

READ your lease contract, and contact legal help, an attorney who works with tenants.

Profile picture for MKelly916
Why do you want appliances that don't work?  If the lease only states that appliances will be included, and there are appliances when you move in, then you don't have much of a case, unless it specifically states that those particular appliances are included.