Profile picture for Quick79

Lease transfer from Property Manager to Owner

I have decided to manage my rental property for myself and have a tenant currently under contract for a year (10 months now). Can I simply amend the lease agreement that my tenant has with the property management company or do I need to draw up a new lease agreement for the remaining months of the contract?  If I need a new agreement drawn up, would not the tenant be able to leave if he/she decides they don't want to live there anymore?

Nate
FL
  • September 20 2012 - US
  • 0

You should run this by your attorney.  

The tenant is most likely allowed to stay out their lease term with no change in conditions, so simply changing the contact information may be all that is needed.

Profile picture for Quick79
I was thinking the exact same thing.  I did check with my attorney and he said the same thing. Why would I not be able to write an Addendum for the existing contract changing the name of the Landlord to myself and my specific contact info and be done with it?

The PM I'm using stated that the agreement that they have with the tenant may not be used by me because I'm not a registered realtor.  She also talked with my tenant warning him not to send me a copy of the lease. I spoke with the tenant and told him I just need the specifics of the agreement so that there are no conflicts.

I think the PM is simply making it harder on me and the tenant...

Thanks for the advice!