Profile picture for daj555

Lender cold-called me to refi a 7/1 interest-only ARM

My lender (big one that is stable) called me out of the blue to offer a refi. Apparently I'm on a "list" which has
qualified me for such a call. My details: purchased home in 2005, $420K on interest-only 7/1 ARM loan at 5.625%. 79%
LTV, no 2nd mortgage, mid 700 credit score. I'm not crazy about it being interest-only, but I have not been putting
anything towards principal. I'm not behind on payments nor at risk of it (at least yet). Here's where I'm frustrated.
The offer sounded great - 5% rate and they would put in $ to bring loan to 417K and then some other magic involving
about 20K out of their pocket that I didn't quite understand - all amounting to a $50/month increase. After a few calls
and talking to my wife I said lets go ahead with the pre-approval - he was going to bring it to the approvers
(underwriting?) and would call me back. So of course, I get the wife all worked up, and he calls back and says it
didn't fly. It's now $250/month more. WHat gives?